At the outbreak of the Civil War, Governor Randall directed Major Horace A Tenney to put the fairground near the University into condition for reception of Wisconsin troops. This was quickly done and in honor of the Governor, it was named Camp Randall. During the war, the following troops were stationed at Camp Randall while being organized
for service: 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 20th, 23rd, 29th, 30th, 36th, 37th, 38th, 40th, 49th, 50th. Also Company G. of Berdan's Sharpshooters. cf. History of Dane county, by Judge Elisha W. Keyes, Madison, 1906.