First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CC recto

Germans are wonderful craftsmen, excelling all other people in works of art and in building. This praiseworthy city is adorned with the remains of Saint Valentine, which Taxillo, duke of Bavaria, brought there; and of Saint Maximilian, the archbishop of Laureata[Laureata was a place on the coast of Dalmatia, which was taken by the traitor Ilaufus, for Totila and the Goths, in 548 CE. But the place here referred to is undoubtedly Lauriacum or Laureacum, a town in the north of Noricum, at the point where the river Anisius, or Anisis (now the Enns) empties itself into the Danube. Laureacum was the largest town of Noricum Ripense, and was connected with high roads with Sirmium and Taurunum in Pannonia. It was one of the earliest seats of Christianity in those parts, a bishop of Laureacum being mentioned as early as the middle of the third century. In the fifth century the place was still so well fortified that the people of the surrounding country took refuge in it, and protected themselves against the attacks of the Alemanni and Thüringi; but in the sixth century it was destroyed by the Avari, and although restored as frontier fortress, it afterward fell into decay. Its name is still preserved in the modern village of Lorch, and the celebrated convent of the same name, around which numerous remains of the Roman town may be seen extended as far as the city of Enns, which is about a mile distant. Enns is located on one of the old salt routes across the Danube to Bohemia, and is therefore one of the oldest towns in Austria, having grown up around a castle built in 900 by the Bavarians as an outpost against Magyar attacks. The settlement of Enns soon gained prosperity as a market and obtained a charter as a free town in 1212.]. brought from the city of Laureata to Passau by Saint Rupert. Laureata was once upon a time a celebrated and renowned city situated in a plain on the river Anisis, after which the city was once named. It had an archiepiscopal church, where the saintly Maximilian officiated as archbishop, and was afterward martyred. But after Attila (Athila), king of the Huns, destroyed that part of the city where the castle was located, the city was named after the river; but the archiepiscopal seat was transferred to Salzburg.

Passau, here also given the Latin name Patavia (more correctly Batava), is a town and Episcopal see of Germany, in the republic of Bavaria situated at the confluence of the Danube, the Inn, and the Ilz, 89 miles northeast of Munich, and 74 miles southeast of Regensburg. On the site of the present Innstadt there was a pre-Roman settlement, Boiudurum. Afterward, the Romans established a colony of Batavian veterans, the castra batava here. It received civic rights in 1225. The bishopric was founded by Boniface in 738 and included until 1468 not only much of Bavaria, but practically the whole of the archduchy of Austria. In about 1260, the bishop became a prince of the empire. In 1803, the bishopric was secularized, and in 1805 its lands came into possession of Bavaria. A new bishopric of Passau, with ecclesiastical jurisdiction only, was established in 1817.

Passau consists of the town proper, lying on the rocky tongue of land between the Inn on the south, and the Danube on the north, and of suburbs lying along the other rivers. Of the eleven churches the most interesting is the cathedral of St. Stephen. The two linked fortresses, the Oberhaus and the Niederhaus, are the remains of the fortifications. The former was built early in the thirteenth century by the bishop in consequence of a revolt on the part of the citizens; the latter is mentioned as early as 737.

Hugh (Hugo) of Saint Victor, was a Gaul of the castle of Saint Victor, a regular canon, and a highly celebrated teacher. About the Year of the Lord eleven hundred he was illustrious in piety and wisdom, and so experienced in all the liberal arts that he was without equal in his time; for this reason he was held in great esteem. Over and above his piety (of which one reads wonderful accounts), he was serviceable to many people through his writings and teachings, and left many excellent literary works. When he was ill with an ailment of the stomach and near death, the Holy Sacrament was brought to him; and so as not to show disrespect to said Sacrament, he said, The Son ascends to his Father, and the servant to the Master who created him. Then the Holy Sacrament disappeared, and this holy man gave up his spirit to his God.

Another Hugh (Hugo), this one from Folieto, a canon of Saint Peter’s at Corbie[Corbie, a town in France, about fifteen miles east of Amiens, once celebrated for its Benedictine abbey (founded in the seventh century), the church of which (16th-18th centuries) is still to be seen, though now ruined. Compare with Corbeny, a small place in France, about twenty miles northwest of Reims, in the Middle Ages called Corbiniacum, where the French kings had a castle. In 900, the place was given to the monks of St. Remy, who erected a church to which the French kings made pilgrimages after being anointed.], and a well-spoken man, at one time wrote a celebrated book upon the cloister of the soul. In it are many beautiful and praiseworthy passages concerning the security of the monastic life and the perils of the world.[Hugo de Folieto, that is, of Fouilloy (Somme), was a regular canon. He was elected abbot of St. Denis, Reims, in 1149. He died in 1174.]