First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…

among others, the beautiful parish church of Mary the Mother of God—a large structure, begun in the Year of the Lord 1377, and in course of completion as this book is being finished; and the church should and may be completed, with its tower, as here visualized, and embellished at such enormous, remarkable and incalculable expenditure of labor, skill and funds (now and in the future to be expended) that the like of it is scarcely to be found in all the world. The church is very tall, has many vaults, and is so large that many people, numbering thousands, may congregate therein on festival days. And there is hardly a single church that has so many clergymen. In it are 52 altars and 52 memorial chapels; also a carved shrine for the sacrament, and a choir carved in wood. In this church there is held, at considerable cost, in honor and praise of God the Almighty and his Mother, and for the edification of the people, a great, beautiful and remarkable uninterrupted and endowed divine service, performed early and late in a praiseworthy manner. Ulm also has learned counsellors who administer the public welfare with prudence; because of the latter in a short time it grew from poverty to riches, and from a condition of servitude to one of mastery; so that Ulm now excels wealthier cities in revenue and funds. It has three counties purchased with its own money, and has enjoyed such a variety of trade that many have sustained themselves by it, some growing wealthy, and others poor. Many other things could be said in love and praise of this imperial city, but abbreviation of the material does not permit that.

Ulm, a city of Germany in the Republic of Württemberg, situated on the left bank of the Danube, at the foot of the Swabian Alps, 58 miles southeast of Stuttgart by rail, is mentioned as early as 854. It became a town in 1027 and was soon the principal place in the duchy of Swabia. Although burned down by Henry the Lion, it soon recovered from this disaster and became a free imperial town in 1155. Its trade and commerce prospered, and in the 15th century it attained the summit of its prosperity, ruling over a district of 300 square miles, and having a population of about 60,000. In 1803 it lost its freedom and passed to Bavaria. It was ceded to Württemberg in 1809. Ulm is remarkable in the history of German literature as the spot where the Meistersingers lingered longest, preserving without text and without notes the traditional lore of their craft.

Ulm still preserves the appearance of a free imperial town, and contains many medieval buildings of historic and of artistic interest. The magnificent early Gothic cathedral, begun in 1377, and carried on at intervals till the 16th century, was long left unfinished; but in 1844 the work of restoration and completion was begun, being completed in 1890. It has double aisles and a pentagonal apsidal choir, but no transepts. Its length (outside measurement) is 464 feet, its breadth 159 feet; and the aisles are covered with rich net-vaulting. The tower in the center of the west façade was completed in 1890, and is the tallest ecclesiastical erection in the world (528 feet). The cathedral contains some fine stained glass, and a number of interesting old paintings and carvings. It belongs to the Protestant Church.

The Danube, joined by the Iller just above the town, and by the Blau just below, here becomes navigable, so that Ulm occupies the important commercial position of a terminal river-port. Ulm has been famous as a fortress, and is a garrison town. It is encircled by walls, moats, and towers, the circuit of which can hardly be completed in a five-hour walk. The nucleus of the defenses is the citadel, the Wilhelmsburg.

The German edition of the Chronicle contains a prose adaptation (translated here) of a poem about Ulm by an anonymous author in the Latin edition.