First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…
FOLIO CLIX verso and CLX recto

This large woodcut, covering all of Folio CLIX verso and half of Folio CLX recto was specially cut for this city, through which, from left to right, passes the river Main. Over this crosses an ancient stone bridge, 650 feet long, adorned with the statutes of saints; also two modern bridges. In the woodcut no means of passage are indicated. On the high elevation at the left, called the Leistenberg, stands the fortress of Marienberg, which from 1261 to 1720 was the residence of the bishops. The architecture throughout is Gothic, and the fortress is exceptionally well done. Numerous churches with tall spires are indicated, showing that the city was long, the capital of an ecclesiastical principality. The imposing Romanesque cathedral with its four towers may be noted in the center of the city. The town is surrounded by walls and is well fortified, and is entered through a toll gate. Beside this appear two men, one of whom is practicing archery. The background consists of barren hills, and there is no indication of the vineyards in the vicinity.