First English edition of the Nuremberg chronicle: being the Liber chronicarum of Dr. Hartmann Schedel…

after the fortress. This city has ponds, lakes, fields, hills, and mountains, in which the Salzburgers and their neighbors may make their homes and have their pastures, and secure birds and game, as well as fish. t also has ample highways over which the Germans may transport their merchandise back and forth in their commerce with Italy and other countries. This city was well protected with walls, embankments, and high towers, and therefore was the seat of the kings. In the time of the pagans it possessed marble temples erected to their gods. Although the city continued to flourish for a long time, it was afterward attacked by Attila, king of the Huns, and suffered by fire and sword to such an extent that it was entirely devastated and ruined. In the Year of Salvation five hundred eighty, when Saint Rupert (Rudbertus) had converted Theodo, the duke of Bavaria, and the people of the vicinity to the Christian faith, he finally came to the river Juvarus, now called the Salzach (Saltzaha); and he found the ruins of the city overgrown with forest brush and shrubbery. He renewed and rebuilt the place as a city, which in time became the most celebrated city of Bavaria. And as Saint Rupert considered it well situated and adapted to a bishopric, he secured its possession and liberty from the duke of Bavaria; and he caused the timber, brush and weeds to be uprooted and cleared away, and a church to be built there in honor of Saint Peter. With funds furnished by the duke he also caused a monastery of the Order of Saint Benedict to be built there. And he ruled the bishopric 44 years, and the Blessed Vitalis was his successor. Afterwards Saint Virgilius, the bishop, built the chief Episcopal church there, and in it he placed the body of Saint Rupert. Later Gebhardus, the bishop, caused the defenses to be repaired; and the city was beautified in many respects. At present the city is surrounded with huge fortifications, and improved with beautiful structures—monasteries, churches and houses, and a fortress. In addition to all this the city is graced with many venerable relics of saints.

Salzburg, the capital of the province of the same name, in Austria, lies on both banks of the Salzach where this river leaves its narrow valley through the limestone Alps and enters the Alpine foreland. The site has been occupied since pre-Roman times, the original settlement being replaced by a Roman trading town, Juvavum. Juvavum, or Juvavia, was a town in the interior of Noricum, on the left bank of the river Ivarus. It is the modern city of Salzburg, situated in an extensive and fertile valley, on the slope of a range of a high mountain. It is chiefly known from inscriptions, one of which described the place as a colony planted by the emperor Hadrian; but its genuineness is disputed. Juvavium was the headquarters of the fifth cohort of the first legion, and the residence of the governor of the province. At an earlier period it seems to have been the residence of the native kings of Noricum. In the year 477 it was destroyed by the Heruli, but was restored as early as the seventh century and still contains many beautiful remains of antiquity. The apostle of the Salzburger country was Rupert, bishop of Worms, who settled in the ruins of the Roman Juvavum in 696, after which it was given to him as an Episcopal see by Theodo, the duke of Bavaria. The modern city grew up around the monastery and bishopric thus founded by Rupert, and its history from that time on is closely bound up with that of the see. The present name, due to the local abundance of salt, appears first in 816, by which time it had been raised to an archbishopric. Its archbishops gained in temporal power and dignity and were made imperial princes by Rudolf of Hapsburgs, in 1278.

Relations between the ecclesiastical rulers on the one hand, and the nobles and people on the other, were always difficult; for example, during the Peasants’ War of 1525-26, quelled with the aid of the Swabian League, and contributing to a reaction against the church when Salzburg became a stronghold of resistance to the Reformation. Persecution was rife, and Protestant citizens were driven from the town. Nevertheless, the movement grew, and in 1731-32, aided by the intervention of Frederick William I of Prussia, 30,000 people sold their possessions and left the see, 6,000 of them leaving the capital. By the peace of Luneville (1802) the see was secularized and given to the archduke of Austria. Following the peace of Pressburg (1805) it fell to Austria, but four years later passed to Bavaria, returning to Austria in 1816, with the exception of a small portion on the left bank of the Salzachby the peace of Paris. In 1849 the province became a crown land, several of its districts being transferred to Tyrol, and remained so until 1918. Salzburg abounds in objects and buildings of interest. It has 8 convents and 25 churches, the majority of interest because of their antiquity, architecture and association. Of these, the 17th century cathedral, one of the largest and most perfect specimens of the Renaissance style in the Germanic countries, is on the model of St. Peter’s at Rome.

Concerning these things the text below is added:

First Column
Then of old it was called Hadriana, which afterwards was called Iuvavia,
A Roman garrison it was to the Norici, and deserving of a bishop.
The seat of Rupert who brought the faith of Christ to them,
Which the town, later called Salzburg (Saltzburga), still retains.
This saint died in the age of the emperor Heraclius
While Mohammed (Mahumet) was establishing his abominable law for the Sabaei[The Sabaei is the name of an ancient people inhabiting the southwest corner of the Arabian Peninsula.].[Heraclius (c. 575-641) and Mohammed (570-632) both were active in the first quarter of the 7th century.]
He (Rupert) himself made as his successor Vitalis.
Second Column
Three abbots in this order followed him (i.e., Vitalis):
Ansologus (Ausologus), Savolus, and after these Ezzius (Ezius) the Venerable.
Next, Flobargisus (Flobirgisus), taking up the name of pastor (i.e., bishop).
After him John (Joannes) possessed the same seat.
Virgilius the exile after this one earned the right to be bishop.[All text from the phrase ‘Concerning these things the text below is added:’ to the end is not in the German edition of the .]