Michael Sligh Papers, 1972-2019 (bulk 1984-2016)

Container Title
Series: Madison, Wisconsin
Subseries: Views of Lakes and Neighborhoods
Alternate Format: Some images also available online.
Box/Album   5
Item   1
View of the shore of Lake Mendota / painted by Joseph R. Meeker, 1871
Note: The original painting, 17 1/2 x 30 inches, was at one time in the stock of the dealer Edward Eberstadt of New York, New York.
Box/Album   5
Item   2
Outlet of Lake Mendota at the Sherman Avenue bridge, Tenney Park, 1874
Note: From the collection of Kathryn Wilkinson.
Box/Album   5
Item   3
Shoreline of Lake Mendota, about 1800(?)
Note

Photographer: Curtiss, Madison, Wisconsin.

Presented by Mrs. Wayne D. Bird, Madison, 1960.

Box/Album   5
Item   4
Shoreline of Lake Mendota(?), probably at Black Hawk's Cave, about 1800(?)
Note

Photographer: Curtiss, Madison, Wisconsin.

Presented by Mrs. Wayne D. Bird, Madison, 1960.

Box/Album   5
Item   5
Willow Walk, Lake Mendota, before the development of Tenney Park, 1890-1900
Note: Photographer: N.P. Jones, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   6
Sunset on Lake Mendota from Mendota Court shore, about 1900
Note: Photographer: Blanchard Harper(?).
Box/Album   5
Item   7
Lake Mendota from Tenney Park, about 1902
Note: From the collection of Mrs. F.R. Aumann.
Box/Album   5
Item   8
Pier and diving board behind men's dormitory, University of Wisconsin, on Lake Mendota, about 1950
Note: Photographer: William Wollin, Madison.

Use Restrictions: Work may be subject to copyright restrictions.
Box/Album   5
Item   9
Picnic Point in Lake Mendota, 1900-1910?
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   5
Item   10
View toward Picnic Point over the marsh from the lake drive, about 1900
Box/Album   5
Item   11
Picnic Point in Lake Mendota, from Observatory Hill, about 1900
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   5
Item   12
Picnic Point, showing campers, 1900-1910?
Box/Album   5
Item   3
The Scutanawebequon on Lake Monona, about 1890? or earlier
Note: Lower photo from J.F. Barks' Academy of Design, Janesville, Wisconsin.
Box/Album   5
Item   14
Assembly grounds on the shore of Lake Monona, 1889 August 2
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss, Madison.

Presented by Theodore L. Coleman.

Box/Album   5
Item   15
Assembly grounds on the shore of Lake Monona, 1889 August 2
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss.

Presented by Theodore L. Coleman.

Box/Album   5
Item   16
Monona Lake Assembly, now Olin Park, about 1890
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss, Madison, Wisconsin.

Presented by Mrs. Wayne D. Bird, Madison, Wisconsin, 1960.

Box/Album   5
Item   17
The shore of Lake Monona, about 1904
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   18
Esther Beach boat pier, about 1905?
Box/Album   5
Item   19
Construction work on E. Mifflin Street, 1900-1910?
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   20
William Schultz, 55, filling his water wagon from a hydrant at Blair and Johnson Streets, in front of the Brahany residence, about 1900
Note: Presented by Esther Livesey Pressentin (Mrs. O.E. Pressentin)
Box/Album   5
Item   21
Chicago and Northwestern Railway passenger depot, about 1915?
Note: From the collection of Lucy M. Curtiss, 1962.
Box/Album   5
Item   22
The Napoleon willows at the foot of North Livingston Street along Lake Mendota, 1910-1920?
Box/Album   5
Item   23
Madison City Railway Company street car, about 1890
Note

The company's name first appears in Madison city directories in the 1888-1889 issue, with the following officers listed: E.W. Keyes, president; W.G. George, secretary; Lucius Clark, treasurer. After 1897, the company is no longer listed. If the building in the background is the company's office and barn, the location is Williamson Street at South Blount.

From the collection of F.K. Conover, 1963.

Box/Album   5
Item   24
Market, extended from Blount Street to Livingston; between Dayton and Mifflin, 1910?
Note: Presented by O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   5
Item   24b
Conklin ice house, Lake Mendota, 1912
Note: Presented by O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   5
Item   25
Municipal market, 1917?
Note: Municipal market was built in 1910 but not operated successfully until July 1917, when it was run by a committee of women of the Dane County Council of Defense Food Board.
Box/Album   5
Item   26
Walker Castle, 926 E. Gorham, about 1890
Note: Photographer: Nielson, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   27
Sherman Avenue, 1916
Box/Album   5
Item   28
Curb market, 1917 August
Note: Curb market was established by a committee of women of the Dane County Council of Defense Food Board. It opened again in June 1918 and was operated every Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Box/Album   5
Item   29
Soldiers' Orphans' Home, located on Spaight Street between Paterson and Brearly Streets, probably 1866
Note

The building was originally constructed by Governor L.J. Farwell, about 1853, as a private residence. It was opened on January 1, 1866, as an orphan asylum. Mrs. Cordelia Harvey, widow of Governor L.P. Harvey, was in charge.

The following announcement ran in the Jefferson Banner, January 23, 1867:“Those who have charge of the Soldiers' Orphans' Home at Madison, are selling a picture of the institution, together with the teachers and little ones, some 200 in number. It is a fine, large sized photograph, framed in good style, and sold at $3.75 per copy, 35% of the proceeds to go for the benefit of the home. Chas. E. Hoyt of this place (Jefferson) is the agent to solicit subscribers in the S. Half of Jefferson Co. Every person should purchase a copy and thereby assist the soldiers' orphans of Wisconsin in obtaining an education.”

Box/Album   5
Item   30
Curb market, 1917 August
Box/Album   5
Item   31
Sherman Avenue, 1874
Note: From the collection of Kathryn Wilkinson.
Box/Album   5
Item   32
Sherman Avenue looking towards the old malt house on the Yahara River, 1896
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   5
Item   33
Willow Walk, later Tenney Park, 1890-1895?
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss.

Presented by Mrs. H.E. Johnson.

Box/Album   5
Item   34
Willow Walk, later part of Tenney Park, about 1900
Note: Presented by Mrs. R.J. Merten.
Box/Album   5
Item   35
Lagoon in Tenney Park, 1895-1900?
Box/Album   5
Item   35b
Lagoon, Tenney Park, about 1908
Box/Album   5
Item   36
Mill at the outlet of Lake Mendota at the Yahara River, about 1890
Note

Governor Farwell built the mill in 1850.

Photographer: Nielson, Madison.

Box/Album   5
Item   37
Sherman Avenue, about 1902
Note: From the collection of Mrs. F.R. Aumann.
Box/Album   5
Item   38
Sherman Ave. bridge and old malt house, about 1904
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown.
Box/Album   5
Item   39
Sherman Ave. Bridge and the old malt house, about 1904
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   40
Yahara River near Tenney Park with the old malt house in the distance, about 1900
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   5
Item   41
Corner of Winnebago St. and Atwood Avenue, 1900-1910?
Note: Presented by O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   5
Item   42
A bad ice storm of January 28th and 29th, 1909 caused $100,000 damage to telephone lines, 1909
Note

The Wisconsin Telephone Company had just purchased the Dane County Telephone Company two months earlier. Mr. Emil J. Frautschi was manager.

From the collection of Emil J. Frautschi, 1961.

Box/Album   5
Item   43
House and barn of Jim McDonald on Winnebago after ice storm, 1909
Note: From the collection of Emil J. Frautschi, 1961.
Box/Album   5
Item   44
Tonyawatha Springs Hotel on the shore of Lake Monona, Village of Monona, 1890-1895?
Note: The hotel burned about February, 1895.
Box/Album   5
Item   45
One of Beverly Jefferson's hacks being driven in an unidentified section of town, about 1890?
Note

Jefferson, one of Thomas Jefferson's slave grandchildren, born in Virginia, came to Madison with his parents Eston and Julia Anee in about 1851. He later fought in the Union forces, returned to Madison and eventually became owner of two hotels, the America House and the Rasdell House (variously cited as Capital House). His omnibus business, located at 12 N. Webster, was established in 1869 and eventually ran 12 vehicles (carriages, hacks and wagons) and employed 14 men.

See Madison Past and Present, 1902, page 200. Lot 2083.

For further biological details, see Thomas Jefferson's Unknown Grandchildren, by Fawn M. Brodie, page 28 American Heritage, October 1976.

Presented by Mrs. Hobart S. Johnson, 1942.

Box/Album   5
Item   46
Madison, 1904
Note: From the collection of Albert O. Barton.
Box/Album   5
Item   47
Langdon Street after a heavy snowfall, 1881 or 1882
Note

Photos by A.C. Isaccs of Madison, Wisconsin.

From the collection of Grace Clark Conover, 1963.

Box/Album   5
Item   48
View from the University of Wisconsin down Langdon Street toward the Capitol, 1887?
Note: Photographer: E.R. Curtiss.
Box/Album   5
Item   49
Marshall Parkinson house, 217 Langdon Street, about 1896-1900
Note

Built in 1895-1896. Robert C. Spencer, Jr., Chicago, architect.

“Mrs. Rehfeld, Madison, describes the interior floor plan: “A large living room/parlor were located across the front; sliding oak doors closed off the large hall from the parlor, dining room and living room; a china room with glass shelves and cabinets separated the dining room and refrigerator room. The cloak room and washroom were located in the lower part of the tower. There were two stairways: a front stairway located in the tower with a landing half-way up which had tall windows and a window seat (for plants); and a back stairway which went from the “walk-out” basement to the third floor. On the second floor there were four bedrooms, one bath and the linen room; the third floor had one finished and two unfinished rooms.”

Mrs. Rehfeld spent her childhood at the house (she is either the daughter or the grand-daughter of Marshall Parkinson).

Presented by Mrs. Mary P. Rehfeld, Madison, in 1974.

Box/Album   5
Item   50
Wagon and shop of John Cory, contractor and builder, about 1901-1902
Note

Top: Shop at 614 University Avenue.

Bottom: Wagon parked at West Mifflin on Capitol Square.

Box/Album   5
Item   51
Lake Street and Lake Mendota, 1895-1900?
Box/Album   5
Item   52
North Carroll Street, about 1915?
Note: From the collection of Lucy M. Curtiss, 1962.
Box/Album   5
Item   53
Gilman Street, about 1875
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss, Madison, Wisconsin.

Presented by Lawrence E. Blair, 1957.

Box/Album   5
Item   54
Gilman Street, looking northeast from the intersection of Gilman and North Pinckney, 1889 August 2
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss, Madison.

Presented by Theodore L. Coleman.

Box/Album   5
Item   55
Gilman Street looking east, about 1915?
Note: From the collection of Lucy M. Curtiss, 1962.
Box/Album   5
Item   56
Bascom Hill and the University of Wisconsin, 1875-1880?
Note: Photo probably by E. Histed, Chicago, Illinois.
Box/Album   5
Item   57
Murray Street, between West Johnson Street and University Avenue, 1901
Box/Album   5
Item   58
Corner of Bassett and Johnson Streets, about 1905
Note

Photo probably by A.J. Friedl.

Presented by John R. Wrage, 1958.

Box/Album   5
Item   59
View looking southeast toward the Wisconsin State Capitol along West Dayton Street, 1903
Note

Photo probably by A.J. Friedl.

Presented by John R. Wrage, 1958.

Box/Album   5
Item   60
West Washington Ave., looking toward the Wisconsin State Capitol after a heavy snowfall, about 1903
Note

Photo probably by A.J. Friedl.

These photos are probably of the same ice storm of January 28th and 29th, 1909, as seen in items 42-43.

Presented by John R. Wrage, 1958.

Box/Album   5
Item   61
View of south Madison from the University of Wisconsin Service Building smokestack at University Avenue and Orchard Street, about 1909
Note: In the distance, you can see the ongoing dredging in Lake Monona Bay for Brittingham Park. Mills Street, running south, is bisected by the Milwaukee Road and Illinois Central Railway tracks. Mills crosses Mound Street with Madison General Hospital visible on the left, in the neighborhood known as the “Greenbush”. The photo just misses Lake Wingra located beyond the houses on the right. Charter Street is in the immediate foreground.
Box/Album   5
Item   61b
Construction work on Monroe Street, 1935
Box/Album   5
Item   62
Regent Street from the intersection with Monroe Street near the University of Wisconsin stadium, about 1935
Note: The photo was taken to show the progress of a highway project, USPWH Project No. NRM 465-B, of which Perry T. Fess was contractor. The project cost $53,400,000.
Box/Album   5
Item   63
Area which later was developed as Vilas Park with Lake Wingra in the background, 1900-1910?
Note: Presented by Laura Kremers.
Box/Album   5
Item   64
Lock in Vilas Park, 1935-1939?
Box/Album   5
Item   65
Vilas Park, Lake Wingra, about 1900
Note: Presented by C.E. Brown.
Box/Album   5
Item   66
Views of Wingra Park and University Heights, 1894?
Note

Top: View looking up Grant Street, Wingra Park. Left to right: Edward Kremers, Thom and C. Bross houses.

Bottom: View across Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe Streets, to University Heights. The Charles Buell home is on the hill top in the distance.

Presented by Laura Kremers.

Box/Album   5
Item   67
Coasting on Van Buren Street, Wingra Park, 1912
Box/Album   5
Item   68
Nakoma, at western end of Lake Wingra, showing first houses, 1916
Box/Album   5
Item   69
Nakoma, an outlying residential district, 1915 October 30
Note

Photographer: McKillip.

Presented by C.E. Brown.

Box/Album   5
Item   70
View from Mendota Heights, 1900-1910?
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   5
Item   71
Drive leading west from the University of Wisconsin campus, about 1900?
Box/Album   5
Item   72
View across Camp Randall Field to University Heights, taken from atop the University of Wisconsin Chemistry Building at University Avenue, circa 1898-1906
Note: Randall School, at 1802 Regent Street, was commissioned in 1906 and is not yet under construction in this view.
Box/Album   5
Item   73
View from atop the University of Wisconsin Chemistry Building, University Avenue, looking west across Randall Field to University Heights, 1898 Fall
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown, Madison.
Box/Album   5
Item   74
Original club house of the Maple Bluff Country Club, destroyed by a tornado in 1921, about 1900?
Box/Album   5
Item   75
University Heights, about 1906-1910
Note: Presented by Richard T. Ely.
Box/Album   5
Item   76
View from the top of Summit Avenue, looking east, over the University of Wisconsin, about 1930
Note: Photographer: M.E. Diemer.
Box/Album   5
Item   77
Lake Mendota, southshore near University of Wiscnsin, about 1890
Subseries: Views of Capitol Square and Environs
Alternate Format: Some images also available online.
Box/Album   6
Item   1
View down Wisconsin Avenue looking toward the Capitol, 1880-1889?
Box/Album   6
Item   2
City Hall, corner of Mifflin Street and Wisconsin Avenue, 1880
Box/Album   6
Item   3
View from the Capitol up Wisconsin Avenue, 1882?
Note

Stereograph by A.C. Isaacs, Madison.

Presented by Mrs. T.W. Evans.

Box/Album   6
Item   4
Post Office and City Hall, 1875-1880?
Note

Photographer: E. Histed, Chicago, Illinois.

Presented by Miss Bettina Jackson.

Box/Album   6
Item   5
Fuller Opera House, later the Parkway Theater, about 1895
Note: The opera house was torn down in 1954. City Hall (right) was also torn down in 1954.
Box/Album   6
Item   6
Mifflin Street showing the old Opera House, Pinckney and E. Washington Ave., about 1905
Box/Album   6
Item   7
East Washington Avenue near Capitol Square, 1895-1990?
Note: From the collection of O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   6
Item   8
East Washington Avenue, about 1890
Note

The Amerika office at right is that of a prominent Norwegian-American newspaper of the time.

Photographer: Edward W. Nielson.

Box/Album   6
Item   9
Counting room of the State Journal, next to 12 E. Washington Ave., 1880 September
Note: David Atwood is second from left. Others shown are: Robert Wootton, E.H. Petherick and H.H. Giles.
Box/Album   6
Item   10
The State Bank, 50 S. Pinckney Street, about 1885?
Note

The State Bank at Madison, Wisconsin, was founded January 1, 1853, by Samuel Marshall of Milwaukee. It was the first bank incorporated in Wisconsin under the general banking law of 1852-1853, its charter being for 100 years.

Chas. F. Ilsley was later taken into partnership and the bank moved to Milwaukee. Samuel Marshall was its president from January 1, 1853 to January 7, 1890.

Box/Album   6
Item   11
East Washington Ave., 1895-1900?
Note: Presented by O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   6
Item   12
Pinckney Street on Capitol Square, about 1870
Note

Photographer: James F. Bodtker, Madison.

From the collection of A.T. Chapman, Williamsburg, Virginia.

Box/Album   6
Item   13
North Pinckney Street, between East Washington Ave. and East Mifflin Street, about 1875
Note: Presented by W.W. Warner.
Box/Album   6
Item   14
East walk around the Capitol grounds, showing early fence (Pinckney St.?), about 1868
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss.

Presented by Lawrence E. Blair, 1957.

Box/Album   6
Item   15
Pinckney Street, looking northwest along the board fence that surrounded the Wisconsin Capitol grounds. The tower of the Methodist church appears in the distance on the right, 1868
Note: Stereograph by J.F. Barks. An original stereograph is in lot 517.
Box/Album   6
Item   16
"The Wilson Street Girls" and others on Pinckney Street on the Capitol Square viewing the Buffalo Bill Procession, 1896 August 17
Note

"The Wilson Street Girls" were Pauline Richardson, Molly Fox, Alice Taylor, Margaret Moore, Bessie Boroman (sp?), Grace Taylor, Amy Young, Susie Regan, Lydia Moore, Alma Taylor, Ella Smith, Mary Oakley, and Ada Sumner. Presented by the estate of Caroline Young, 1945.

See also Oakley-Hawley Family Papers (Wis Mss QM).

Box/Album   6
Item   17
The water tower on East Washington Avenue seen from the Capitol grounds, about 1870-1880?
Note: From the collection of Grace Clark Conover, 1963.
Box/Album   6
Item   18
East Washington Ave. and the water tower, 1890-1900?
Box/Album   6
Item   19
East Washington Ave., about 1890
Note: Photographer: Edward W. Nielson.
Box/Album   6
Item   20
East Washington Ave. with the old water tower, which stood from 1890 to 1920, about 1915
Note: Presented by Louis W. Bridgman.
Box/Album   6
Item   21
Old water tower seen from Capitol grounds, about 1890
Note: Photographer: Nielson, Madison.
Box/Album   6
Item   22
East Washington Avenue, 1878-1880?
Note: Photographer: J.M. Fowler.
Box/Album   6
Item   23
Brown or Bruen block at the corner of East Washington Avenue and Pinckney Street, 1895-1900?
Note: From the collection of Julia Hanks Mailer.
Box/Album   6
Item   24
Pinckney Street along Capitol Square, looking northwest, 1868
Note: Stereograph by N.P. Jones.
Box/Album   6
Item   25
Pinckney Street along the Capitol Square, about 1880-1885
Note

The building on the left, designated by a marked awning, is the Dunning and Sumner Drugstore.

From the collection of Edwin Sumner.

Presented by Professor Glenn Sonnedecker of the University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy, 1964.

Box/Album   6
Item   26
Pinckney Street looking northwest, 1860?
Note

The American House on Pinckney St., corner of Washington Ave. and Bruen's Block, built in 1855 on opposite corner.

Presented by Louis D. Sumner, 1920.

Box/Album   6
Item   27
Corner of Main and Pinckney Streets on Capitol Square, about 1890
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss, Madison, Wisconsin.

Presented by Mrs. Wayne D. Bird, Madison, Wisconsin, 1960.

Box/Album   6
Item   28
Fire in the Baillie-Hedquist clothing store on the southeast corner of Capitol Square, 1916
Note: From the collection of O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   6
Item   29
Corner of Main and Pinckney Streets, about 1890
Note: Photographer: Nielson, Madison.
Box/Album   6
Item   30
Main Street on Capitol Square, about 1915?
Box/Album   6
Item   31
Corner of Main and Pinckney Streets showing Tenney building, about 1953
Note: Photographer: John Newhouse, Madison.
Box/Album   6
Item   32
The first home of Mr. and Mrs. Darwin Clark at 22 South Webster Street, about 1870-1880?
Note

Mr. Clark first came to Madison in 1837, but the home was probably built some years later.

From the collection of F.K. Conover, 1963.

Box/Album   6
Item   33
Clark's Furniture Rooms at 188 E. Main Street, about 1887
Note: From the collection of Grace Clark Conover, 1963.
Box/Album   6
Item   34
Clark's Furniture Rooms at 118 E. Main Street, 1887 June 10
Note

On the original mount, in Darwin Clark's hand, is written:"This is a picture of the Front view of my Furniture Rooms which was first taken on the 10th day June 1887 that day being the Fiftieth anniversary of my arrival and settling in Madison Wisconsin."

"I came to know Gustave Janeck early in the season of 1856. I learned he was a professional in Ornamental Wood Carving which he learned in Germany. I soon saw that he was a natural mechanic and quite a Genius to make himself useful in all the varied Industries of the furniture business. His skill in the matrass business became first class - also in upholstering. He filled the Position of Salesman nicely. He was a man of strict integrity, honest, Just, upright cheerful and genial. He had many virtues of the Just. He was ever free from the Arts and tricks of the Jockey. He was in my employ nearly 32 years. He was with me when I sold out the Furniture business. I found only 3 errours in his cash record during the 32 years. During that Period never any harsh words passed between us. He was an efficient assistant in pushing forward the different industries in the furniture business. He Died September 16th 1895. He now rests from his labors and we believe he is happy in Elysian fields of Beauty. Darwin Clark." Simeon Mills is in the photo with Clark.

Photographer: T.O. Hegg.

From the collection of Grace Clark Conover, 1963.

Box/Album   6
Item   35
Clark's Furniture Rooms at 118 E. Main Street, 1887 June 10
Note

Owned and operated by Darwin Clark, a cabinet maker who came to Madison in 1837 to help in the building of the first Capitol in this city. The 50th anniversary refers to Mr. Clark's arrival in Madison, and not to the 50th anniversary of the furniture shop. Simeon Mills and Darwin Clark are the men seated on the step.

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss of Madison, Wisconsin.

From the collection of Grace Clark Conover, 1963.

Box/Album   6
Item   36
Peck cabin, built by or for Rosaline Peck, the first white settler in Madison, 1837
Note: After a painting by Mrs. E.E. Bailey. The 1836 date on this print is wrong.
Box/Album   6
Item   37
Lithograph by Kurz and Allison, Chicago, after a painting by Mrs. E.E. Bailey, 1837 June
Note: From the collection of Kathryn Wilkinson, 1955.
Box/Album   6
Item   38
Painting by Mrs. E.E. Bailey representing the first house built in Madison, Wisconsin, 1837
Note: Painted about 1869, based on recollections of pioneer settlers.
Box/Album   6
Item   39
Tree at the site of the first house in Madison, built in 1837
Box/Album   6
Item   40
View up King Street toward the Wisconsin Capitol, 1851
Note: From a watercolor by Johann B. Wengler, an Austrian who traveled in America in 1850-1851. On the left is the old Madison hotel which stood from March 17, 1838 until 1863, when it was destroyed by fire. The original watercolor is in the Oberoesterreichisches Landesmuseum, Linz, Austria.
Box/Album   6
Item   41
J.E. Rhoses and Co., pork and beef packers, North corner of South Webster and East Main Streets, 1881 or 1883
Note: Copied from a photograph loaned by Frank Custer of the Capital Times.
Box/Album   6
Item   42
View looking up King Street from Butler Street toward the Wisconsin State Capitol, about 1911
Note: From the collection of Dudley Montgomery.
Box/Album   6
Item   43
Ceremonies at the Capitol square for the centennial of the United States, 1876 July 4
Note

Stereograph by Andrew L. Dahl, Deforest, Wisconsin.

Presented by Harold Goldman of St. Paul, Minnesota, 1961.

Box/Album   6
Item   44
Panoramic view of Capitol Square, looking west, about 1910
Note: Photographer: the Haines Photo Co., Conneaut, Ohio.
Box/Album   6
Item   45
East Main Street, about 1880
Note: From the collection of Fairchild.
Box/Album   6
Item   46
King Street, looking east; Pinckney Street; Main Street, looking west, 1905-1910
Box/Album   6
Item   47
Vilas House on the corner of Main St. and Monona Ave., 1885-1887
Note: Photographer: E. Histed, Chicago, Illinois
Box/Album   6
Item   48
Main Street along Capitol Square, 1912
Box/Album   6
Item   49
View of Capitol gate entrance at Monona Avenue, about 1880
Note

Photographer: E.R. Curtiss.

From the collection of Horace J. Smith.

Box/Album   6
Item   50
Dane County Courthouse with County jail at right
Note

The Courthouse was erected in 1850 and demolished around 1883.

Photographer: J.M. Fowler.

Box/Album   6
Item   51
Monona Avenue, about 1890
Note: From the collection of Julius Olson.
Box/Album   6
Item   52
Elk's Club and Avenue Hotel, Monona Avenue and Doty Streets, about 1908
Note: From the collection of John S. Donald.
Box/Album   6
Item   53
Looking towards the Capitol from Monona Avenue with the Elks' Club in the foreground, about 1909
Box/Album   6
Item   54
Monona Avenue, about 1910
Box/Album   6
Item   55
Wisconsin National Guard Parade at Capitol Square, circa 1889-1890
Note: Presented by Mrs. T.W. Evans.
Box/Album   6
Item   56
Park Hotel, corner of Main and Carroll Streets, about 1880
Note: Presented by Julia Hanks Mailer.
Box/Album   6
Item   57
Damon the Tailor at 209 East Main Street, 1880 September
Box/Album   6
Item   58
The Park Hotel at Carroll and Main Streets, 1880-1885?
Note

Photographer: E. Histed, Chicago.

From the collection of Bettina Jackson.

Box/Album   6
Item   59
Parade passing the corner of Main and Carroll Streets, on Capitol Square. The Park Hotel is in the background, 1880-1890?
Note: From the collection of Julia Hanks Mailer.
Box/Album   6
Item   60
Park Hotel, South Carroll Street, from the Capitol grounds, between 1899 May and 1900
Note: Photographer: Edward Nielson.
Box/Album   6
Item   61
Main St. and Capitol grounds, from the Park Hotel, 1890-1895?
Note: From the collection of Julia Hanks Mailer.
Box/Album   6
Item   62
West Main St. at South Carroll St., looking west, 1935-1939?
Box/Album   6
Item   63
Wisconsin Avenue; West Washington Avenue, 1895-1900?
Note: From the collection of O. D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   6
Item   64
Rooftop view of the Congregational Church, 1874
Note

Photographer: E. R. Curtiss.

From the collection of Kathryn Wilkinson.

Box/Album   6
Item   65
View from the Capitol dome, looking west, 1880-1885?
Note

Photographer: E. Histed, Chicago, Illinois.

From the collection of Bettina Jackson.

Box/Album   6
Item   66
West Washington Avenue from the Capitol grounds, 1887?
Note: Photo probably by E. R. Curtiss.
Box/Album   6
Item   67
View from the Wisconsin State Capitol (the fourth State Capitol, the third in Madison, built 1906), showing the Hotel Loraine and West Washington Avenue, 1920-1930?
Box/Album   6
Item   68
West Washington Avenue, near Capitol Square, 1936-1939?
Box/Album   6
Item   69
West Washington Ave., showing the Congregational church and the Grace Episcopal church, 1880-1885?
Note

Photographer: E. Histed, Chicago, Illinois.

From the collection of Bettina Jackson.

Box/Album   6
Item   70
Parade on West Washington Ave., 1895-1900?
Note: From the collection of George B. Merrick.
Box/Album   6
Item   71
West Washington Avenue looking toward Capitol Square, about 1900
Box/Album   6
Item   72
West Washington Ave., from Broom Street looking toward Capitol Square, 1901
Subseries: Views of the Isthmus and State Street
Alternate Format: Some images also available online.
Box/Album   7
Item   1
Unidentified road in the vicinity of Madison, 1852
Note: After a pencil and wash drawing by Adolph Hoeffler.
Box/Album   7
Item   2
View from the water cure on the south side of Lake Monona, 1855
Note: Lithograph published by circa Currier, New York, after Samuel Hunter Donnel.
Box/Album   7
Item   3
Engraving, 1855?
Note

Engraving after(?) lithograph published by circa Currier, New York, after S.H. Donnell, 1855. This engraving appeared in an 1857 Ballou's Pictorial Drawing-Room Companion.

Another view appears in Chicago Magazine, volume 2, April 1857, page 152, with explanation page 186.

Box/Album   7
Item   4
[View of the City of Madison]
Box/Album   7
Item   5
Madison, 1859
Box/Album   7
Item   6
View by Louis Kurz of Milwaukee, about 1860
Note: Copied from the original lithograph in the Chicago Historical Society.
Box/Album   7
Item   7
Madison, 1869
Box/Album   7
Item   8
View from the south shore of Lake Monona, about 1884
Note

Oil painting in the museum of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 8x12 inches by CCV.

The original painting presented by Silas L. Spengler.

Box/Album   7
Item   9
View from Lake Monona, 1890-1894
Box/Album   7
Item   10
View from the south side of Lake Monona, 1890-1895?
Note

Original watercolor by N.A. Greenbank.

Presented by Mrs. Reuben Gold Thwaites.

Box/Album   7
Item   11
View of Madison from across the lake, about 1890-1900?
Note: View used on the envelope of merchant, W.A. Oppel.
Box/Album   7
Item   12
View in winter from Lake Monona, 1895-1900?
Note: From the collection of O.D. Brandenburg.
Box/Album   7
Item   13
View from Turvill Shore across Lake Monona, about 1900
Box/Album   7
Item   14
View from the south shore of Lake Monona, 1900-1910?
Box/Album   7
Item   15
[View of Madison from across the lake]
Box/Album   7
Item   16
View from Lake Monona, prior to the building of the State Office Building at 1 West Wilson in 1923, probably between 1915 and 1923
Box/Album   7
Item   17
View from Lake Monona, 1923-1924?
Box/Album   7
Item   18
View at night from Lake Mendota, 1945
Box/Album   7
Item   19
View from Lake Monona, about 1945
Box/Album   7
Item   20
View from across Lake Monona, 1955
Note: Photographer: John Newhouse, Wisconsin State Journal.
Box/Album   7
Item   21
Lake Mendota, from University Drive, 1887
Box/Album   7
Item   22
View over Lake Mendota from Eagle Heights, 1896?
Note

Original watercolor by N.A. Greenbank.

Presented by M.F. Blumenfeld in 1942.

Box/Album   7
Item   23
View from across Lake Mendota, about 1903
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown.
Box/Album   7
Item   24
View from Raymer Heights, 1905-1910?
Note: From the collection of Blanchard Harper.
Box/Album   7
Item   25
View across Lake Mendota toward the Capitol, 1950 March?
Note: Photographer: Frank circa McAdams, Madison.
Box/Album   7
Item   26
City of Madison, 1880
Note: From Park's “History of Madison, Dane County, and Surrounding Towns.”
Box/Album   7
Item   27
Bird's eye view, 1885
Note: Wisconsin Historical Society Archives has a large original lithograph of this map, identical except for some advertising imprints not shown on this version. The original lithograph is in the map collection, filed as GX9029 M18 1885 N
Box/Album   7
Item   28
“Bird's eye” map view adapted as an advertisement for S.L. Sheldon, 1885
Note: This lithograph was also published without advertising matter. The original lithograph is in the map collection, filed as GX9029 M18 1885 N.
Box/Album   7
Item   29
View looking toward Main (Bascom) Hall at the University of Wisconsin from Monona Bay, taken from vicinity of St. Mary's Hospital, about 1905
Note: Photographer: Charles N. Brown.
Box/Album   7
Item   30
View from the top of the chimney of the Capitol heating plant, looking southwest, 1909 June
Note

Photographer: H.R. Clough of Milwaukee.

The large original is filed as 5-1051.

Box/Album   7
Item   31
Looking toward the State Capitol from the State Heating Plant. The old water tower on W. Washington can be seen to the right, about 1915?
Note: From the collection of Lucy M. Curtiss, 1962.
Box/Album   7
Item   32
Aerial view looking east along University Avenue, about 1936-1940
Note

The apartment building at Princeton and University in University Heights was built in 1936.

Photographer: M.E. Diemer, Madison.

Box/Album   7
Item   33
Aerial view looking east, about 1930
Note: Photographer: M.E. Diemer.
Box/Album   7
Item   34
Aerial view of the Capitol and city from over Lake Monona, 1948?
Note: Photographer: M.E. Diemer.
Box/Album   7
Item   35
View from the south shore of Lake Monona, drawn by A. Ruger, published by the Chicago Lithogr. Co., 1867
Note: The original lithograph has below the view an index to prominent buildings and four small view of the Capitol, Vilas House, Rasdall House and the University of Wisconsin.
Box/Album   7
Item   36
View from the University of Wisconsin, 1852
Note: Drawing by Adolph Hoeffler, a German traveler in this country in 1848-1853.
Box/Album   7
Item   37
View from the University of Wisconsin, 1858