Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Album, 1941


Summary Information
Title: Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Album
Inclusive Dates: 1941

Creators:
  • E. Brielmaier & Sons
  • Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Call Number: Milwaukee Historic Photo Collection 39

Quantity: 0.2 cubic ft. (1 box)

Repository:
Archival Location:
Milwaukee Public Library (Map)

Abstract:
This collection contains 11 black and white photographs of the interior of the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist after it was restored following the fire that destroyed most of the building in 1935.

Note:

To request materials from this collection, create/login to your Special Collections Account.



Language: English

URL to cite for this finding aid: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/wiarchives.mwpl-mhpc0039
 ↑ Bookmark this ↑

Biography/History

Construction of the St. John’s Cathedral was started in 1847 and the building was dedicated in 1853. John Martin Henni, then the head of the local Catholic Church, spear-headed its construction. It is located at 812 N. Jackson Street and has been the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee for the past 150 years. In 1935 a fire destroyed most of the cathedral except for the bell tower and portions of the north and south walls. Reconstruction on the Cathedral began almost immediately and the cathedral was rededicated eight years later in 1943. E. Brielmaier & Sons, a prominent Milwaukee architectural firm, took part in the restoration of the cathedral. One of the specialties of this architectural firm was the design of churches. The church was renovated in 2002.

Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of eleven 7½” x 9½” black and white photographs of the interior of the St. John’s Cathedral during its restoration after the fire of 1935. The photos are mainly of the altar and other architectural details within the cathedral. These details include the baptismal font, the railing that used to exist in front of the altar area, and the back balcony. Most of these features no longer exist in St. John’s Cathedral following its renovation in 2002. When the collection was received from the WAA it was contained within a non-archival paper album. The photos were removed from the album and placed into individually numbered archival folders.

Arrangement of the Materials

The order that the photos appeared in the original album has been retained.

Preferred Citation

Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist Album, 1941, Collection 39. Milwaukee Historic Photo Archives, Milwaukee Public Library, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Related Material in the Milwaukee Public Library
Archival Collections

Publications and Other Items

Cathedral Calendar, St. John's Cathedral, Milwaukee, Wis., October, 1918

E. Brielmaier & Sons Co., Architects, Milwaukee

Administrative/Restriction Information
Access Restrictions

There are no access restrictions on the materials. The collection is open to all in accordance with state law. The public may view collections from the Milwaukee Historic Photo Archives by appointment at the Central Library. To request an in-person appointment, create/login to your Special Collections Account. If you have any questions, please contact the Archives and Special Collections Department at mplarchives@milwaukee.gov.


Use Restrictions

The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright which may be involved in the use of this collection (Wisconsin Statutes 19.21-19.39).


Acquisition Information

Donated to the Historic Photo Archives by the Wisconsin Architectural Archives (WAA), date unknown. The WAA received the collection from the architectural firm E. Brielmaier & Sons at an unknown date. Materials were accessioned as a Historic Photo Collection.


Processing Information

Processed by Rose Fortier, Historic Photo Librarian, October 2007.