University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Rivers,   pp. 208-220 PDF (5.7 MB)


Page 218


    The first annual meeting for this district was held Sept. 29, 1862, at
the Saubert
home with Nick Horner as chairman. Since the schoolhouse could not be completed
for the winter term, it was decided to utilize a room in a home for the time
being.
A Mr. Franznag offered a part of his home for three months as a schoolroom.
Upon
investigation his offer was declined because the room was not suitable. Further
search brought an offer from Franz Heyne in section 13 for a room in his
home.
This offer was accepted and school held from October to January with Caroline
Volk
as the teacher.
    The first annual meeting in the new school was held on September 25,
1865.
At this meeting John Meinecke was re-elected clerk and Franz Heyne the treasurer
for a term of three years. The sum of ,500 was voted for the following year.
Of
that amount $125 was set aside to pay Susanna Meyer for six months of teaching.
It was voted to have Franz Heyne clear the school yard of building debris
in prepara-
tion for the opening of school and to build steps at the entrance for $10.
The school-
house erected in 1863 to 1865 was destroyed by fire in 1878.
    The second and present brick school was erected that same year with Herman
Witte hired to do the carpenter work. The total cost of this structure was
$373.68.
The building as constructed then was about 20 x 24 feet with three windows
for each
long side An entrance door led directly into the schoolroom in which the
wraps and
dinner pails were stored and in which the children recited. The room was
heated
by a box stove and the furniture consisted of'crude home-made desks and seats
at which four to six children could sit and work.
    By 1898, the enrollment had increased so much that an addition, 20 x
30 feet,
was added to the west end of the school. The construction was of brick and
follow-
ed the pattern of the old school. That same year the double desks in use
until 1947
were purchased for $130. The school is now heated by a floor furnace located
in the
northwest corner of the schoolroom. The old open pail and dipper were replaced
by
a water jar with a bubbler attached. That in turn was replaced by a pressure
water
system in 1940 when water was piped from the Wm. Monk home next to the school
on the north. Since the addition was made in 1898, the district has added
a frame
storm shed to the front of the school in which the pupils can store their
overshoes.
In the 1930's, the northeast corner of the room was partitioned off from
the rest of
the schoolroom for a cloak and storage room. The west wall of this partition
facing
the schoolroom was built up with open shelves to store library and text books.
Elec-
tric lights were installed in the later 1930's. At present the building lacks
indoor
lavatories, proper window lighting, and a basement for play, fuel, and furnace
rooms.
    The schoolyard now is large and well laid out. The limited yard at first
resulted
in many broken windows during the baseball season. The district required
that such
breakages be paid for by those who broke the windows. Then, too, in batting
away
from the school, the ball would land in a neighbor's field causing damage
when the
boys retrieved the ball. Finally the district decided to buy an additional
one-half
acre of land to the south from Mr. Vogeltanz for $100. The first well was
drilled in
1892 and was only 15 feet deep. In 1903, the well went dry and a second one
was
drilled which lasted until 1913 when a third well was drilled.
    Two Rivers No. 6 has had a growing school population as indicated by
the need
for larger schools as the decades past. The county records reveal that during
the
later 1800's about 50% of the children of school age attended school. Even
as late
as 1905 only 68 out of 115 school age pupils attended. Today the enrollment
averages
between 20 and 30 out of a school population of about 50 because of parochial
and
high school attendance.
    The Rangeline district has had its share of graduates who became successful
in business, agriculture, and the professions. Two of the more well-known
graduates
were Carl and Herman Schlundt. Many former pupils have remained in the district
with some serving long and faithfully on the local schoolboard. Among those
who
served more than 20 years were August Schultz, Fred Schultz, Fred Saubert,
Fred
Kemp, Henry Zermuehlen, Chas. Zermuehlen and John Bugler who has now served
continuously for 38 years.
    The list of teachers is complete from the time that the school began.
Those who
taught this school before 1906 were: Caroline Volk 1862-5, Susanna Meyer
1865-8,
Christian Trautman 1868-71, Mary Walsh 1872-4, Charlotte Flynn 1874-8, Fred
Dam-
ler 1878-80, Otto Wiegand 1880-1, Wilhelmina Berger 1881-2, Cora ,Buhm  1882-4,
Hattie Seims 1884-8, Tina Arnemann 1889-90, Felix Walsh 1890-1, Martha Sechrist
1892-5, Sophia Jens 1895-9, Ernest Ferman 1899-1900, Aug. Nimmer 1900-1,
Otto
Engel 1901-2, Louis Levenhagen 1902-3, H. C. Wilke 1903-6.
218


Go up to Top of Page