University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Rivers,   pp. 208-220 PDF (5.7 MB)


Page 214


pons family lived for school purposes. This house was on the exact site of
the present
school.
     The second school, a brick building about 24 x 36 feet, was built in
1881 by
 contractor Schwantes. It replaced the Depons house which was torn down before
 building operations began. The second school cost $336 and consisted of
a large class-
 room, an entry and hallway, a cloakroom on one side of the hallway and a
fuel stor-
 age room on the other side. The windows were placed along the long sides
of the
 building. The school was equipped with double desks and seats. Many of the
texts
 were those found around the homes of the pupils. Slates were used in place
of writ-
 ing paper and tablets. The blackboards were "black boards". The
heating equipment
 consisted of a stove, while kerosene lamps took care of the lighting problem.
When
 the building was replaced by a third school, the bricks were used for the
new school
 basement . The second s~ool was known as the Kingsville school.
     The third and present school was erected in 1913 for $2,665. It is a
modern
 frame building with a large class room, a roomy hallway, two cloak rooms,
a full
 basement, a roomy attic, indoor flush toilets, a basement furnace heating
and venti-
 lating system, and a good-sized library room. The equipment consists of
single, ad-
 justable seats and desks, slate blackboards, bulletin boards, piano, and
a steel filing
 case. Electric lights and services were installed in the 1930's. By the
late 1800's
 when the post office name of Neshoto was changed to Shoto, the school became
known
 as the Shoto school.
    As the hamlets of Neshoto and Kingsville grew, the school population
increased,
but as the mills shut down the school attendance decreased. The enrollment
during
the first year of the first school was 30 pupils. By 1870 the clerk's report
to the
superintendent of schools shows that 73 pupils were in school. From the high
of 75
pupils in 1875, the enrollment shows a steady decrease until 1890 when but
22 pupils
were in attendance. After that date the school enrolled between 30 and 40
students.
The attendance in the 1900's has been about that figure with the present
enrollment
averaging 20. Today the school population is augmented by the children of
the resi-
dents of cottages along the West Twin River.
    A very early settler of the community was Frederick Borcherdt who settled
here
in 1841 and took over the mill built by Burnham and Stringham. He was the
first
German settler in the county. Andrew Rutz who served on the school board
and
later became town clerk settled here in 1856. Other early settlers were Win.
Myer,
Richard Bishop, Al. Schimmel, Rudolph Meissner, Clarence Krueger, a Mr. Schroe-
der, Albert Franz, a Mr. Timber, Henry Meyer, and Mr. Kott. Many of these
family
names are still common in the district.
    No record of the school officers prior to 1872 is available. The names
of those on
record from that date are: Henry Depons 1872-1874; Andrew Rutz 1874-1880;
Chas.
Raimond 1880-; and Chas. Hacker 1894-96. Henry Rahn, Win. and Jos. Meyer,
August
Gehling, Carl Buenzow, John Petri, Alex Rutz, were others serving prior to
1906.
    The names of the first teachers in the old school are not on record.
Some of
those who taught from 1872 on were: E. H. Smalley, Louis H. Truettner, Catherine
Stitt, Sarah J. Thompson, William Ross, Henry Walsh, Peter Carrigan, Jessie
P. Ross,
Emma Emerson, Emma Morrison, Clara Filholm, Lena Miller, Alice Newcomb, Carl
Zander, Win. Engel, Floyd Brown, Myrtle Mosher, and Mary McCullough. Those
teaching in this school after 1906 are listed in the county school annuals.
The district
maintained summer and winter sessions as late as the 1870's. The early texts
in-
cluded Ray's arithmetic, Phinneas grammar, Sanders spellers and readers,
Guffey's
history, and Mitchell's geography. The teacher's salary was always a bit
higher than
other nearby districts paid. There are few records of community activities
held in
the schoolbuilding, but it is reported that old-fashioned spelling bees were
held once
or twice a year.
    The Shoto district, has one of the most interesting community histories
of Mani-
towoc county. Two distinct hamlets, Neshoto and Kingsville, sprang up along
the
West Twin river, The population of Neshoto at one time was about 250 persons.
Cooper and Jones Lumber Co. owned much of the property in the village. They
op-
erated saw and lath mills located near the dam. The saw mill was located
on the
north side of the river by the sluice way. A post office, established after
1880, was
at first to be called Neshoto, but since there was already a post office
by that name
in Wisconsin, it was called Shoto in spite of the fact that a Mr. Hacker
wanted to
have the village named Hackerville. The first postmaster was reported to
have been
August Gehling. The office stayed in existence until the inauguration of
the R.F.D.
system. A cemetery next to the first school was used for' the burial plot
of the old
settlers, the mill workers, and members of their families. The cemetery is
now a
cultivated piece of land. Th south river bank below the dam was built up
in docks,
back-filled with sawdust and slabs. A large tug hauled lumber and mill work
from
214


Go up to Top of Page