University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948

Newton,   pp. 169-180 PDF (5.2 MB)

Page 179

neighbor, W. Kreie, to get water. Mr. Kreie apparently had legitimate reasons
allowing only certain boys on his yard, of which Julius Hecker, retired city
claims to have been one.
    At a special meeting in 1869 it was decided to adopt the text, "This
New Prac-
tical and Easy Method of Learning the German Language". Another special
was called in 1870 to insure the schoolhouse in the Newton Insurance Company.
Meier, the insurance agent, insured the school for the sum of $700 and the
ment for $50 at a premium of $8.50 for a term of 5 years. In 1876, a board
fence was
built along the north, east, and south sides of the school yard by John Luckow
    A well was dug on the schoolgrounds in 1884 by John Luckow for $50 on
a spot
determined by C. Stockmeier with a divining rod. A 10 x 16 woodshed was built
by William Rodewald in 1887 for $16.25. The records show that in the same
1887, the old seats were sold for $4.65 and new ones were purchased. A new
was bought in 1892, and the old one sold for $1.50.
    By 1894 the brick, schoolhouse proved to be unsatisfactory and it was
sold for
$50 to Mr. and Mrs. Hoecke who lived in it for about three years, after which
it was
abandoned and finally torn down. Nothing is left of it now but a heap of
and the land has reverted back to Treick's as was arranged. One-half acre
was then
bought in the village of Newton for $80 from John Kreie recorded thus in
the Register
of* Deeds Office:
    "Commencing on a point 16 rods north from the southwest corner of
section No.
27 of township 18 N. range, No. 23 east, thence running 8 rods north, thence
due east
10 rods, thence due south 8 rods, thence due west 10 rods to the place of
in all containing ½h acre of land." This is the location and
size of .the present school-
grounds. Anton Tomczyk was the contractor for the 28 x 46 x 12 frame building
ed in 1895, complete with tower and bell for $1,000. Every taxpayer of the
was required to haul 2 loads of either stones or sand, and whoever was unable
to haul
was required to pay $1.50 per load. The building committee c6nsisted of Louis
meier, J. Jagodzinski, John Kreie, Theodore Rodewald, and H. Stockmeier.
were paid 10c an hour for their duties. The new school was typical of many
of that
era. It was painted white, had green shutters, and yard was enclosed with
a wire
fence. But no little red schoolhouse!
    In 1900 the wire fence was removed and the wire was sold for 35c. The
gate was sold for 65c. An iron fence was then built on the west or highway
    In the early part of the 20th century, district fairs were popular and
No. 9 took part in many of them. At one time a school fair was held, and
5c and 10c
prizes were awarded for the best fruits, vegetables, and needlework. White
School also prided itself on the adeptness of its students at winning prizes
at the
town and county contests, conducted annually for many years.
    By 1921 the school again proved inadequate for the large enrollment,
and it was
decided by the people of the district to build a one-room addition to the
building thus makijng it a State graded school. William J. Raeuber, the architect,
drew up the plans which were sent to the State Industrial Commission for
The contractor, Albert Tomschek, converted the old building into two rooms
placing a wall along the entire north side, leaving a six foot wide hallway
The large
addition on the east side became the primary room and basement entrance .
A base-
ment furnace was installed leaving room for a coal bin and play room. The
committee consisted of Oscar Rodewald, Fred Woepse, and John Hutchison. They
received forty cents an hour for their work. Forty cents an hour was also
paid for
district help; eighty cents 'with team. The school equipment was stored in
a room
rented from Emil Rodewald until the school was ready. The old woodshed and
double desks were sold for $44 and new single desks were bought for $752.80.
ed doors separate the two rooms which can be opened for large gatherings.
first principal was Lena Geigel (Dewey) and the first primary teacher was
    Electric lights were installed in '1926 and a stoker in 1935. Water was
from the C. Franzmeier store property until 1936 when A well was drilled
on the
school grounds. In 1941 a water system, a sink, two bubblers, and indoor
were installed. Two electric clocks were purchased in 1944, and at the last
meeting, 1945, it was decided to install an electric bell system, making
White Trail
a well equipped state graded school.

Go up to Top of Page