University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 167


MISHICOT 7 -PLEASANT VIEW SCHOOL
Lorraine Kracht
    Mishicot district No. 7 was
given the name of Pleasant
View because of the pleasant
view of rollirng hills and wood-
ed tracts which can be obtain-
ed from the school site. Resi-
dents from    the  surrounding
communities refer to this as the
Skubal school because it is lo-
cated at Skubal's Corner. All
early records of the district
kept by the school clerks were
destroyed by fire when     the
home of the former school
clerk, Anton Skubal, burnt to
the ground in recent years.
    In 1858, when Mishicot and
Gibson townships were one, the
land in this district was known as Mishicot district 13 made up of sections
16ý 17, 18,
19, 20, and 21. After the two towns separated, this area became Mishicot
No. 7 ac-
cording to the Mishicot assessment roll of 1859 on file in the county treasurer's
office.
In 1865 when Mishicot Jt. 2 was organized, this district lost the west one-half
of sec-
tions 18 and 19, but it has had added a tier of farms along the northern
edge of sec-
tions 28, 29, and 30.
    The first log schoolhouse was built shortly after the district organized.
The cost
of the structure is unknown. It served the community until 1871 when a frame
struc-
ture costing $412 was erected. A picture of this school taken in 1899 at
some com-
munity affair is in the hands of a district resident. It shows the school
with the ex-
terior improvements made since its erection. The building seemed to be about
24 feet
wide and 30 feet long with four windows on the long sides. Each window had
12
panes. Older residents recall that the original plank floor was removed and
regular
flooring laid. The interior of the building 'had one large cloakroom across
the en-
trance side and a classroom for the rest of the structure. The classroom
had a high
teacher's desk with a high 9tool behind it on which the teachers sat. This
teacher's
desk is now used as a business desk in a cheese factory a quarter mile south
of the
school. The desks and seats were home-made, large enough to seat six to eight
sturdy
youngsters. The seats had no backs and were high enough off the floor to
care for
all sizes of pupils! A big woodstove in the middle of the room was the heating
plant,
while the wood was piled conveniently in the rear of the room . Standing
on a small
bench near the piled wood was a water pail with the drinking dipper hanging
on a
nail nearby. Maps, a globe, a large dictionary, and "black" boards
completed the
equipment. About 1900, new, patented double desks were purchased.
    In 1916, the voters decided that a new and modern building "was
in order. Louis
Skubal, who owned the tavern across the road, was planning to enlarge his
dance
hall about the same time, so he purchased the old school for the addition
to his hall.
The old school building still stands as the western part of the hall. All
that was
necessary to add it to the hall was to remove one end and Attach it to the
Skubal
property.
    Building operations for the new and present school began in 1916, but
it was
not completed until the summer of 1917. The contract was let out on bids
and the
lowest bidder, Matt Zima, built the school for about $4,000. The building
is modern
in all respects, having a full basement housing indoor toilets, and rooms
for the heat-
ing and ventilating system, for fuel, and for play. The first floor has a
large entry;
a cloakroom, built-in library, and a large correctly lighted classroom. Electric
lights
were installed in the early 1940's. The school has a large bell-tower with
bell which
can be heard in all parts of the district. The building is equipped with
the best in
Modern teaching and learning aids. Single, chair-type desks replaced the
old double
desks. This school is one of the most modern in Mishicot township.
     Mishicot No. 7 was thickly settled as early as 1870, consequently the
school en-
 rollment even at that time was higher than average For the summer and winter
 terms of school for 1870, there was a total enrollment of 87 pupils as shown
in the
167


Go up to Top of Page