University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)

Page 166

1870 to 1910 show that about 50 to 70 pupils attended each year. During all
of the
1900's up to 1946, the-enrollment has remained constant at about 25 to 40
    The records of district No. 6, town of-Mishicot, are not without omissions.
On the
page one of the minute book, the following sentences appear: "Keep this
book for future
purpose. Take care of it. Year 1859". On the following page there is
writtert in
German script: "The third annual meeting was held Sept. 24, 1860. Wenzel
was elected treasurer for a period of 3 years. It was agreed at this meeting
to limit
the school to a four month term from Nov. 1, 1860 to March 1, 1861. The teacher
was voted a salary of $20 per month." Several other needs were stipulated,
and the
proceedings were countersigned by Clerk Christ Bukousky and director Charles
gert. On Sept. 30, 1861, Wenzel Swoboda was accepted as financial security
for Wen-
zeUlDvorak. The total expenses for the school year were $142. At that meeting,
Thos. Rezach was elected director for 3 years to succeed Wenzel Sinkula.
Up to 1867
the minutes were written in German with the following holding office: Christ
kusky, Wenzel Dvorak, Albert Holub, Christian Fick, Chas. Maak, Thos. Rezach,
John Schultz. After 1867 the records were for some time written in Bohemian.
"It is
easy to account for the languages used in conducting business", states
C. G. Stangel,
a former pupil.. "The southern area of the district was settled by Germans,
while the
northern area was settled by Bohemians. It was not until 1875 that English
began to
be used exclusively at school meetings."
    Mishicot No. 6 was the-home district of many prominent citizens. Frank
W. Stan-
gel became a teacher and later built and operated a general store at Tisch
Frank J. Stangel became a teacher, an attorney, and later an Episcopal priest.
J. Stangel founded the J. J. Stangel Hardware at Manitowoc. C. G. Stangel
was one
of the first rural students to receive a county rural school diploma, became
a county
teacher, and principal of Lincoln High at Manitowoc, and served one year
as presi-
dent of the Wisconsin Education Association. Dan Stangel was a county teacher
later practiced dentistry in Milwaukee. Otto Stangel became superintendent
of agri-
cultural schools in Dakota and in Pennsylvania. Adolph Stangel is head of
the Badger
Specialty Company of Manitowoc. John Murdrock was a teacher, dentist, physician,
and city treasurer of Milwaukee. Jos. Murdrock is a prominent physician at
bus, Wisconsin. Gust Eggert became a prominent farmer, abstractor, and register
deeds. A. G. Schauer became a teacher and later a banker in Kewaunee. Another
graduate was Father Kerch, a Catholic priest. Some other outstanding graduates
Dr. Frank Kozelka, Madison; Dr. Adolph Kozelka, Two Rivers; Frank and Otto
sky; Sister Wencelaus, for years supervisor at the Holy Family Hospital;
Koehler, the famous wood expert of the Lindberg case; and Joseph Fronk, a
near Madison, Wisconsin. There are many more who became prominent but this
list must suffice and give an indication of the prominence of its graduates.
     Sam Roullier was the first teacher mentioned and he taught for two years.
 was succeeded by Rudolph Tisch for two years, and then Sam Roullier again
for one
 year. Charles Eggert taught from 1868 to 1876. Others who taught the school
 Floyd Benedict 1876; John O'Hara 1877-80; F. W. Stangel 1880-82; F. J. Stangel
 1882-86; Spencer Lovedale 1886; F. J. Stangel 1887; Arthur Zander 1888 from
 to May 15; C. G. Stangel 1888-91; .Fred Hammond (now Dr. Hammond) 1891.
 from 1891 to 1906 were Chas. F. Schimmel, Adolph Kazda, Jos. F. Wojta, Chas.
 Schlundt, Jos. Stangel, John Gruber, and John Murdrock.
     Citizens who have served on the school board in addition to those named
 the 1860's were: Geo. Schulz, Frank Schauer, John Stangel, Louis Koehler,
 Klenarst, Albert Kaiser, Jos. Stangel, Gust. Eggert, and Frank Stangel.
Records show
 that the school board members have always tried to get the best teachers
 by paying a much higher salary than surrounding districts did.
     This school always took an active part in town and county contests.
Many prizes
 were captured by the pupils of this school. An interesting fact discovered
in looking
 over the old school registers was that in the years 1906-09 there were 23
 enrolled out of a total enrollment of 40 pupils! One of the oldest residents
of the dis-
 trict is "Grandma" Stangel who not only raised a large family
but found time to
 board the teachers and to cheer them on their way. The school yard, on the
east and
 west sides, has rows of evergreens and maples, planted one each year on
Arbor Day.
     The district has no places of great scenic or historical interest. Tisch
Mills, a
 village in this district, was begun by the two Tisch brothers who operated
a grist
 mill. Since that time the hamlet has become an important trading and business
 for the surrounding communities.

Go up to Top of Page