University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 164


district included sections 9, 10, 15, and the E½h of section 16 all
in township 20N,
range 24E. After Mishicot township separated from Gibson the school districts
were
renumbered and this district became District No. 5, Mishicot. Today this
district
is made up of sections 9, 10, 15, and very small parts of sections 4 and
16 in township
20N, range 24E.
    There are no official records of the school prior to 1904 in the hands
of the pres-
ent school officers. The facts given in this history are those obtained from
county
records and from personal comments of old timers in the district. The first
log school-
house was built about 1860 on the site of the present school and stood there
until
1908. In later years the logs were covered with boards. The old building
had a
lean-to woodshed and the school itself had two windows on both of the long
sides.
These windows had shutters customary to buildings of that time. These shutters
swung on hinges and were used to board up the windows during the nights and
dur-
ing the summer. -A *fine picture of the o1l school is to be found in the
1909 Manitowoc
County School Annual. Henry Thielbar, a former pupils, reported that the
furniture
consisted of six wooden seats about 8 feet long, a' teacher's desk, library
cupboards,
and chairs. A wooden blackboard about 4 by 8 feet was used. There are no
records
of the cost of this building nor who built it. When this old school was abandoned
in
1908, it was moved to the corner of Highway 163 where it is still used as
a garage.
    The second and present brick veneered schoolhouse was erected in 1908
at a
cost of $1,694. The building is 36 x 22 feet with a schoolroom 26 x 20 feet.
It has a
large cloakroom, a library room 7½ x 5 feet, and a full-sized basement.
A basement
furnace provides heating and ventilation. During the 1940's electric lights
were in-
stalled. The school is modern in every respect except that outdoor toilets
are still
used.
    Enrollment records dating back to 1870 were found in the annual reports
of the
township clerks to the county superintendent of schools on file in the latter's
office.
In 1870, the enrollment in this school was 44. In 1880 it was down to 28.
By 1895 the
attendance was thirteen, but by 1905 it had gone up to 29 pupils again. The
average
enrollment for the last thirty years has been between 10 and 20 pupils.:
At present
there are nine children enrolled. The enrollment in the school has been affected
by
the rise of the parochial school system and by other factors common to rural
areas,
    According to the Mishicot assessment roll of 1858 the following settlers
lived
or owned land in this district at that time: Lorenz Schulter, Mathias Scheuer,
Mathias
Hoffmann, Nicolaus Scheuer, Henry Mueller, John Breider, Albert Wittenberg,
and
Casimer Young. Some of the family names are still common to the district.
Families
who settled in the district at a later period were the Thielbars, Redekers,
Benzingers,
and Wilsmans. This district, too, has produced prominent leaders in business
and
agriculture. There seems to be no record of graduates who became well-known
in
the professions and in politics.
    The earliest record of school officers found in the teachers' record
book in the
county superintendent's office lists these district settlers who served as
clerk with
the dates of their tenure: Anton Palzer 1872-78; Bruno Mueller 1878-90; Nic
Schroe-
der 1895-98; Winar Bedbur 1903-05.
    The county records show that this district had no summer and winter terms
at
least after 1872. By that date school was in session for six months of the
year. The
teachers" salaries up to 1900 averaged about $28 per month. Some teachers
who
taught in this district were: Mary Ross 1872; Julia E. Ricker 1873; Mary
Walsh 1874;
Sarah Henry 1875-79; Mary Taugher 1894-95; Dora Clausen 1896; Mary Redeker
1897-98; and Mary Redeker again in 1905-06. The district has consistently
shown a
preference for women teachers.
    The texts used during the latter part of the 1800's were the Sandersd
and the
American spellers and readers, Ray's arithmetic, the Montheith's and the
Mitchell's
geographies, the Phinneas and the Smith grammars, and the Guffey and the
Swinton's
histories. Emphasis was placed on the three R's and many of the subjects
now a
part of the school curriculum were unheard of in the early days of this school.
Dur-
ing the 1900's school fairs, contests, and spelling matches were popular.
     The Pine Grove district is and always has been a pure farming community.
Many of the farms are in the hands of descendants of the original owners.
Although
164


Go up to Top of Page