University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 163


    Mishicot Jt. 4 is adjacent to the village of Mishicot and is affected
by parochial
school attendance of the district children. The smallness of the district
has affected
the size of the school ever since its organization. The highest enrollment
occurred
in 1890 when 80 pupils were attending school. The average from 1870 to 1905
was
between 40 and 60 pupils yearly. In 1901 the enrollment was made up of 8
Baugniet,
5 Bartelme, 4 Bodwin, 2 Cherney, 3 Chaloupka, 2 Etetsky, 3 Fries, 3 Jost,
5 Jindra,
4 Koch, 1 Niquette, 1 Meissner, 3 Peltier, 3 Rhein, 2 Samz, 2 Reinholdt,
and 4 West-
gate children. In 1948 the enrollment totaled only 13 pupils.
    Former pupils of this school who have become well-known throughout the
state
are: Atty. Clarence Roullier of Milwaukee; banker Math. Bartelme of Oconomowoc;
Olive Peltier, Milwaukee city nurse; banker F. C. Baugniet of Francis Creek;
Dr.
Hugh Westgate of Milwaukee; and Archie Baugniet, a rural mail carrier. Gradlates
who entered the teaching profession were the Baugniets, Kochs, Jindras, Fries,
Ni-
quettes ,and Westgates. Adolph Cherney became owner of the Cherney Construction
Co. Other former pupils also became prominent in the fields of agriculture,
business,
and industry.
    One of the first school clerks was Joseph Dionne who served from 1869-72
and
from 1874 to 1878. Others who served as clerks were Joseph Belrose 1872-74;
Peter
Kaufmann 1878-95; and Eli Peltier 1895-1906. Other board members from 1872
to
1906 were Fred Fries, August Terens, Ed. Samz, Dolphis and Carlist Niquette,
Frank
Krueger, Peter Harris, Fred Westgate, John Reynolds, Chas. Rezba, B. Bartelme,
and
M. Hoffmann. Mich. Koch served as clerk for 17 years in the 1900's.
    During the early years of the school, the voters decided whether a male
or female
teacher was to be hired, the length of the school term, and when school was
to start,
the vacation periods, and that school was to be closed when the roads were
impas-
sable. The salary of the teacher was also voted upon at the meeting for in
1872 it
was voted to pay the teacher only $150 for the term of 9 months. They also
reserved
the right to call a special meeting if more than $10 was to be spent for
any article.
In March 1878,-a special meeting was called to adopt the following text books:
San-
tders New Series Readers, Swinton's spellers, geographies, and histories,
Robinson's
arithmetic, Kerl's grammar, and Spencerian Copy Books.
    Summer and winter sessions of school were held some years during the
1870's.
A nine month term, one of the few in the county for 1872, was voted for the
district.
One of the first teachers was Adelia C. Osulson in 1869-70. From 1870 to
1873 the
district paid the board of the teachers. Teachers' names officially on record
in the
county office are Annie Sullivan 1872-3; Jonas Gagnon 1873W; Nancy Ddrling
1874;
Peter Garrigan 1876; Mary Cody 1877; Emma Gibson 1878; Jos. Rick 1879; M.
H.
Smith 1880; Herman Besau 1894; Floyd Westgate 1895-96; Jerome Craite 1897;
John
Shambeau 1898; Ella Weinfurther 1904; and Geo. Eigenber~ger 1905. Others
who
have taught this school previous to 1906 were Libbie Puffer, Maggie LaPlant,
Isabel
Trossen, Josie Thompson, Christ Wuellner, J. A. Miller, Alma Halberg, Louis
Tros-
sen, and Alice M. Thompson.
    Mishicot Jt. 4 has always been a farming community. The district has
about 20
farms but no village within its boundaries. A very few of the old French
family
names are now remaining in the district. The community has no places of historic
or
scenic interest.
                         MISHICOT 5- PINE GROVE
                              Shirley E. Schroeder
    Mishicot District No. 5 is
officially designated as  the
Pine Grove School because it
is situated near a grove of pine
trees. The school is located near
the'-junction of Highway 163
and County Trunk B in section
9, township 20' N, and Range
24E. To~many residents of this
section of the county the school
is now known as the Steiner's
Corner school.
    While the township of
Mishicot embraced the town-
ships of Gibson and Mishicot
up to 1858, the present Mishi-
cot District No. 5 was Mishicot
District No. 11. At that time the
163


Go up to Top of Page