University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 162


MISHICOTmT. 4 -hLASALLE
Normat Schmit
    Mishicot Joint District No.
4 was given the name La Salle
school in memory of a fellow-
countryman of the early French
settlers of this district. It was
and still is referred to common-
ly as the French Settlement
school. Some of the early set-
lers of French extraction were
Dolphis Niquette, Joseph Di-
onne, Anton Cayo, Fred Baug-
niet, Eli Peltier, and Joseph
Belrose.
    The assessment r oll of
Mishicot for 1856, when Mishi-
cot township included Gibson,
indicates that the present Mish-
irent .Tt d~idript S w÷,
known as Mishicot No. 5, made up of sections 6, 7, and 8, township 20 N.
After Mish-
icot became a township by itself in 1858, the districts were renumbered and
this area
then became Mishicot No. 4. In 1875 or 1876, according to the town clerk's
report to
the county superintendent, a small area in section 35, Gibson was added,
making this
Mishicot Jt. r3 with Gibson. Since Gibson No. 7 became joint with Mishicot
about
that time and called itself Gibson Jt. 3, it was decided in 1878 to change
the designa-
tion to Mishicot Jt. 4, since it was originally district 4 when Mishicot
became a town-
ship. Later a small farm was annexed in Kossuth, making the Mishicot school
district
joint 4 with Gibson and Kossuth. At prepent the district consists of not
quite three
sections of land, one of the smallest school districts in the county.
    There are no school records before 1863, but when the district purchased
the
first site from Dolphis Niquette for $30 in 1863, there was already a school
building
on it. The first site was at the N.W. corner of the NE¼4 of section
7, T. 20 N., Range
24E which is about one-eighth mile west of the present school site. No one
seems
to remember when this school was built nor the type of structure. It very
likely was
erected-in the early 1850's and may have -been a log building of the type
common
at that time.
    The first frame school of which there are written records was built between
the
years 1869-1871 at a cost of $168. It was a frame building about 24 x 28
feet with-
out a basement and with windows on three sides. The entrance door led directly
into
the schoolroom. The pupils' wraps and dinner pails were stored near the boxstove
to keep them warm. The furniture consisted of double seats and desks and
wooden
blackboards. Because there were no seats, some church pews were purchased.
These
were called "lazy benches", for it was the pupils who were lazy
or mis-behaving
who were made to sit on the lazy bench. The church pews served also as recitation
benches. This building was moved to the present site after occupying the
first site
for some years. The present location is the N.E. corner of the NWV4 of the
NE¼A
of section 7, T. 20 N., R. 23 E.
    The frame building erected in 1869 is still used as the district school
today. In
the year 1903 an eight-foot addition costing $450 was added to the front
of the
building to serve as an entrance and cloakroom. At about the same time a
wood-
shed was attached to the rear of the school and a door cut into the schoolhouse
so
that the fuel +could be easily obtained. The building was originally heated
by the
usual boxstove without a ventilation system. During the 1920-30's, a floor
furnace
with a ventilation system was installed. Electric lights were also installed
in the
1930's. Today the school building consists of a medium-sized classroom, fuel
shed,
one large cloakroom, and an entrance shed. The old-time teacher platform
in the
front of the room is still in use. The interior schoolroom walls are covered
with
boards. A well-built library cupboard houses the text and library books.
Single,
adjustable desks and seats have replaced the double ones, although a few
double
seats are still used for recitation benches.
    Since there is no basement, outdoor toilets are used. The district and
board
members have tried to keep up with the best in school esuipment by purchasing
those
recommended by school authorities, but the great need is to provide a modern
building. With the continued decrease in enrollment other means of meeting
modern
rural educational trends may be the solution.
162


Go up to Top of Page