University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 161


as well as the excellent equipment supplied indicate that the district is
deeply in-
terested in the education of the children enrolled.
    Mishicot No. 3 had summer and winter sessions up to about 1875. The three
month summer session began in April and ended in July, while the winter term
ex-
tended from October to March. The residents of this district saw to it that
their
children took advantage of the schooling offered, for the county records
show that
about two-thirds of the children of school age attended school each year.
The higlbst
enrollment occurred in 1870 when for the two sessions a total of 75 pupils
was en-
rolled. For -the rest of the years between 1870 and 1905, the yearly attendance
aver-
aged between 40 and 65. Even in the 1900's, Saxonburg was considered one
of the
larger county schools. In recent years the enrollment has averaged 25 pupils
out of
a school census of about 70 children of school age residing in the district.
It was in-
teresting to note that the present school census lists about as many children
as the
census lists of the later 1800's did. The decrease in attendance is due to
earlier gradu-
ation and parochial school attendance.
    The Mishicot assessment roll of 1856 lists these as settlers in this
area: John
Brodkorb, Gottfried Mueller, Carl and Fred Brockmann, Carl Pfening, Chas.
LeClair,
John Reif, Fred Jonas, Joachim Meyer, Carl Fleischer, Fred and Albert Voight,
John
S~hroeder, Fred Witte, John Stelzer, Heinrich Assmann, and John Huss. Some
pupils
who attended the first school were Ella and Fred Witte, Chas.'Mueller, Edw.
and 'Jos.
Puta, John Benzinger, Sr,, Win. and Clara Lenslng, Pauline Benzinger, Emil
Bern-
hardt, Arthur Stelzer, Louis Heyroth, Hugo Roedger, Wilbert Mueller, and
Win.
Brodkorb.
    Former pupils of Mishicot No. 3 have added many names to the list of
promi-
nent Manitowoc county citizens. Among those entering the teaching profession
were
Edgar, Clara, Rose, Lillian, Fred, and Esther Jonas; Edna and Edward Wentker;
Esther, Elsie, and Myrtle Schroeder; Amanda and Melvin Heyroth; Anna, Amarlda,
and Alma Halberg; Ella Witte; Chester Mueller; Milton and Roland Stelzer;
Ellen
Lensing; Leon Strouf; Earl and Jennie Stoneman; Carrie Schmidt, and Hazel
Puta.
Earl Stoneman became a professor at Whitewater; Anna Halberg is supervisor
of
schools in Washington, D. C.; Fred Jonas became an attorney; Edgar Jonas
became a
prominent judge in Chicago; and Edna Wentker and Amanda Heyroth became a
coun-
ty supervising teachers. In addition to these teachers, Otto and Hugo Bernhardt
be-
came ministers, and Hazel Mueller entered the nursing field. Many of the
more
prominent and progressive farmers of Manitowoc county are graduates of the
Saxon.
burg school.
    Members of the first schoolboard were Fred Mueller and Fred Witte, Sr.
Others
who served on the board prior to 1906 were Henry Mueller 1872-74; Fred Halberg
1874-80; Fred Witte 1890-96; Louis Heyroth 1896-1906, and Gustave Brodkorb,
John
Schroeder, John Benzinger, Otto Bernhardt, and Adolph Seidl.
    During the early years of the school, the majority of the teachers stayed
only for
one term. The county records show that the salary paid these early teachers
was low
or below the average paid in Mishicot township. It was not until the 1900's
that higheft
than average salaries were paid to the best teachers obtainable. The names
of teachers
on record in the superintendent's office for the years prior to 1906 were:
Henry Cuff
1872 S, Mary Cuff 1872 W, Louise Hockmeyer 1873 S, and 1874 W, Henry Braasch
1873 W, Win. Ross 1876, E. A. Benedict 1877, Floyd Benedict 1878, Mary Packard
1879,
Ida Klingholz 1880, Robert Shambeau 189-, Dora Halverson 1894-5, Henry Behlow
1896, Walter Runge 1897-9, John Shambeau 1899-1903, and Hermus Besau 1904-05.
Teachers after 1906 who became well known were Earl Stoneman, professor of
agri-
culture; Anna Halberg; who became a leader in the Washington, D. C. schools;
Henry
J. Antholz, Supt. of Schools at Spooner and once president of the Wisconsin
Educa-
tion Association; John E. Teporten with the Wisconsin Vocational Dept. at
Madison;
Bert Vogel, a leader in rural education in Wisconsin; Ladimir Hrudka, superintendent
of schools at Cicero, Illinois; and Edna Wentker, a county supervising teacher.
    The residents of the Saxonburg district have always made use of the school's
facilities. In addition to the usual basket socials, seasonal programs, and
card parties,
the school has served as a meeting place for 4-H clubs, farm organizations,
and liter-
ary societies. The Saxonburg Dramatic Club in existence in the early 1900's
spon-
sored yearly plays which gave that community an enviable reputation.
    Saxonburg today is a community of progressive and prosperous farmers.
Many of
the pioneer family names are still common to the district. The Saxonburg
cemetery,
a few rods east of the public school site, is the final resting place of
many of the
pioneer settlers of the Mishicot area.
161


Go up to Top of Page