University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Mishicot,   pp. 154-168 PDF (6.5 MB)


Page 160


attained prominence were the Benesch girls who became leading county teachers;
Albert W. Tetzlaff, a county teacher and later our well known and popular
County
Clerk; Glynden Tetzlaff who is teaching in Milwaukee at present; L. 0. Tetzlaff,
the
principal of Sheboygan County Normal; Earl Tetzlaff, a teacher in Manitowoc;
Robert
Guse, a formerly county supervising teacher; Randolph Stehn, cashier of Mishicot
State Bank; Hugo Ploeckelmann, town clerk of Mishicot; Ernest Wilsmann, a
former
teacher and now with the Manitowoc Post Office.
    The district has no recorded places of historical or scenic interest.
                         MISHICOT 3- SAXONBURG
                              Hazel P. Eisenmann
     Mishicot school district No.
 3 is known as the Saxonburg
 district because the early set-
 tlers of this community came
 from Saxony, Germany. They
 named this area Saxonburg in
 memory of their German state.
.At one time, in 1853, the entire
township consisting of what is
now Gibson and Mishicot was
called Saxonburg by order of
the County Board.
     The first settlers in this
 community settled here about
 1845. The school district was
 organized in the early 1850's
 and was then known as Mish-
icot No. 4. After Mishicot be-
came a township by itself in 1858, the school districts were re-numbered
and this
area became district No. 3. The extent of the present district coincides
remarkably
well with the old district No. 4 of the 1850's.
    The first -school, a semi-log frame structure, was erected about 1850
and was
located a half mile south of the present school, on what is now the Adolph
Eisenmann
farm. The exact location was just north of the present Eisenmann barn. It
was a
small building about 20 x 24 feet with two windows on each long side. The
school
equipment consisted of crude desks and seats, a drinking pail and dipper,
and a stove
in one corner of the room. There were no cloakrooms and cupboards so the
chil-
dren's wraps and lunch pails were stored in the schoolroom. During the cold
winter
days, the lunches froze despite the roaring fire in -the stove. After nearly
50 years
of service, the building was sold to August Schroeder for $11, and is still
standing
and used for a granary on the present Roedger homestead.
    The second and present schoolhouse was erected in 1899 on the present
site. It
is a frame structure planned by C. H. Tegen. The building was framed by August
Schroeder for which services he received $155. The total cost of the new
school was
$1,128 according to county records.
    The building is about 28 x 38 with four windows on each of the long sides
and
two on the entrance side. An open porch leads into an entry through double
doors.
On each side of the entry is a cloakroom. The schoolroom now has well-built
open
library shelving along the south wall 1between the two doors leading from
the cloak-
rooms into the classroom. The front of the schoolroom still has a teacher's
platform.
The walls and ceiling are covered with tin. Modern schoolroom equipment and
con-
veniences, such as electric lights, single-adjustable seats and desks, radio,
electric
plate, bulletin boards, a steel file, chairs and worktables, a sandtable,
maps, and
reference books have been added from year to year. A door in the northeast
corner
of the schoolroom leads to an attached basement entry. The basement houses
a
modern heating and ventilating system. The full basement, poorly lighted,
is a com-
bination fuel, furnace ,and playroom. The building also has a large attic,
well-lighted
by two windows on the entrance side. The schoolyard has mote than the average
number of pieces of playground equipment. The well-kept building and playground
160


Go up to Top of Page