University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Franklin,   pp. 66-81 PDF (7.5 MB)


Page 68


timers" recall the day when they were patrons of the factory, when milk
was deliver-
ed by oxen. In later years the Nate factory was established and flourished
for years
but is now out of existence too.
    A brick yard was established in the early 1900's by Joseph Baroun Sr.
and Frank
Rathsack upon the property of the former. The pits and kiln still remain.
Today
Franklin No. 1 is a qitiet, prosperous community of farms.
                        FRANKLIN JT. - CLEARVIEW
                                  Betty Fenlon
    Franklin joint district No. 2 was given the
name Clearview because a clear view df the dis-
trict lands can be obtained from the school. Peo-
ple in this section of the county often refer to it
as the Gallagher school because the school site -
was purchased from the Gallaghers. It is now
often called the Fenlon school because of the
close association that the Fenlons have had with
the school.
    This district was originally a part of the old
Franklin school district number 6 located along
the western tier of sections in Franklin. Town
superintendent of schools, Michael Keehan, on
March 10, 1860, ordered the organization of
Franklin No. 2 and called a meeting of all legal
voters in this area. At the time of its organiza-
tion an area of land in the township of Maple
Grove was added to this district and this became
Franklin joint district No. 2, joint with Franklin
and Maple Grove. Many changes have occurred
in its boundary lines so that at present the dis-
trict lines are most irregular.
    The site of the school was purchased from
Douglas Gallagher for $50 and is located on the
town line between Maple Grove and Franklin
at Tne northwest corner of the IN.WA.4 o0 Tie
S.W.14 o0 section 6. The first scnool was a log buildicng of unknown size
as the early
district records are unavailable. It was crudely furnished with homemade
benches
and heated with a cast iron stove in the middle of the room. By 1872, it
had served
its usefulness and it was torn down.
    The second schoolhouse was built in 1872 according to county records
and cost
the sum of $250. It was a small frame structure painted red. There were two
or three
windows on three sides with the front of the room used to hang the "black"
boards.
The old homemade desks were used until double desks were purchased in the
1890's.
The building was about 20 x 26 feet and had no cloakroom. When it was abandoned
in 1913, it was sold to John O'Hearn who moved it a short distance south
across the
road. Mr. O'Hearn used it for years as a storage and animal shed until it
fell to ruins
and was finally leveled in the early 1940's.
    At a special meeting called on November 23, 1912, at 2 P. M. the question
of
building a new school was brought up for consideration. The vote to build
was favor-
able as was a proposition that the district residents do the hauling of the
sand and
stones for the foundation before December 15, 1912. Evidently the old school
was
condemned for the hurry in erecting the foundation was to show the educational
leaders of the county and state that the district intended to build and that
the district
intended to build and that the district was entitled to state and county
aid. At the
special meeting the sum of $1600 was voted to pay for the consruction of
the school
building.
    The third school, the present one, was built in the spring and summer
of 1913.
It was a modern building for that time, being 34 x 38 feet, with a schoolroom
27 x 27½
feet. The classroom is lighted by large windows at the left and rear. A small
entrance
shed is located at the front of the building facing west. The door opens
into a hall-
way leading up several steps to the cloakrooms at the northwest corner of
the build-
ing. The hallway and cloakrooms have natural lighting from two windows facing
west and two from the north. Two doors from the combination cloakroom open
into
the classroom. Between the two cloakroom doors, a built-in library houses
the text
and library books. The northeast corner of the building has a small storage
room
68


Go up to Top of Page