University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948

Franklin,   pp. 66-81 PDF (7.5 MB)

Page 66

    Franklin township was once a part of Manitowoc Rapids, of Maple Grove,
original Franklin township made up of Franklin and Cato, and finally in J857
present-sized township. , During these changes from one township to another,
districts were organized in these territories. Prior to 1857, there were
only four sch
districts set up in the present Franklin area. They were: Franklin 6 (now
and Jt. 2), Franklin 8 (now Franklin Jt. 8, Jt. 6, and Jt. 9), Franklin 13
(now Franlk
Jt. 3 and 13), and Franklin 14 (now Franklin 4 and Jt. 14). Cato Jt. 7 also
of a part of the Franklin area. See Cato introduction for an explanation
of the mi
ing district numbers. After Franklin became a township by itself, new school
tricts were organized and numbered from number 1 up and to fill in missing
numbers, but not always in the order of their organization. The missing district
ber 5 is unexplained after much research.
                       FRANKLIN 1--GRASSY KNOLL
                                Marie F. Duggan'
    Franklin district No. 1 was
named the Grassy Knoll school
in 1918 by the pupils because
the school is situated on a
grassy knoll near the N.W. cor-
ner of section 20, Franklin.
Prior to this it was often refer-
red to as the Stoker school be-
cause of the connections that
members of that family had
with the school. Today Frank-
lifi'residents call this the Phi-
lips or the Mangin school be-
cause it is located near those
    In 1856, according to the
township assessment roll, this
district was iF.ranKlln iNo. o ana
consisted of sections 6-7-17-18-19-30. On April 20, 1859, Patrick Hogan,
the town
superintendent of schools, changed this district number to Franklin No. 1
(See Frank-
lin township records). A few years later, Franklin districts number 2 and
3 were set
up and certain areas of Franklin No. 1 were detached to become parts of those
tricts. Today the Grassy Knoll district is a very irregular area in western
township . The land on which the school is located was granted to the state
of Wis-
consin by the'United States on Nov. 28, 1848. Paul Mangin, Sr. on February
12, 1867,
purchased the property from the state.
    The first schoolhouse, a log building, was erected in the 1850's. There
are no
records of its size and general construction. The equipment consisted of
crude home-
made furniture common to the early pioneer schools. At the first election,
Hickok was elected chairman. This school served the district until 1890 when
present building was erected. The old schoolhouse was sold to Joseph Krummel,
and removed to the farm to be used as a granary.
    The present frame school was built in 1890 by Tom Brown, assisted by
Kupsch, for $500. He supplied all of the necessary lumber and labor for the
ture. The furniture then consisted of large homemade seats and desks, large
to seat four pupils each. The children used slates and slate pencils, with
the black-
boards being "black" boards. The schoolhouse is about 24 x 28 feet,
one-story high.
There is no basement, and the main floor consists of a classroom and two
rooms. Four windows on each of the long sides supplies the light for the
The interior walls and ceiling are covered with tin. A few cupboards fail
to care for
the hundreds of books and texts now piled in various parts of the building.
A stove,
without provisions for ventilation, heated the schoolroom. Single and double
desks of
the unadjustable type were used. Up to 1946 a large school bell on the roof
the children to their classes. This bell was removed in the interests of
safety and for
other reasons. Franklin No. 1 was one of the very few county districts maintaining
a school without electric lights and most other modern conveniences.
    The enrollment has fluctuated with the years, but the winter attendance
was for
years greater, for then the older boys and girls from the farms and from
the paro-
chial school at Maple Grove attended. The erection of St. Patrick's school

Go up to Top of Page