University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Cooperstown,   pp. 46-55 PDF (4.8 MB)


Page 51


COOPERSTOWN JT. 4- ROSECRANS
            Kathryn Keehan
    Cooperstown joint district
number 4 has always been
known as the Rosecrans district
because the village of Rose-
crans is within the area. It was
officially designated by t h a t
name in 1918. The village of
Rosecrans is said to have gotten
its name from the fact that
Cranse or Kranz had a business
place at that pla ce. Mrs.
Cranse, whose name was Rose,
was popular and the leader in
the business establishment. The
people of the community refer-
red to the place as Rose
Cranse's which was later chang-
ed to Rosecrans when the post-
office was established.
    Cooperstown No. 4 set up as a school district soon after the township
was organ-
ized in 1856. It was not until 1860 that school money was given the district
according
to town records. Since the district organization, land from section 20 was
added to
district 3 4n 1919, an area in section 33 was attached to Franklin Jt. 9
in 1931; and in
June, 1942, a small parcel of land was added to Cooperstown 4 from Franklin
which
then made this Cooperstown Jt. District'No. 4. Today the district stretches
two-thirds
of the way across the township with the schoolhouse not centrally located.
    The first log schoolhouse with only three windows was built about 1859
on a site,
about 1/4 mile north of the present schoolyard. It is reported that the location
was in
the midst of dense forest with paths from the various homes leading to it.
The school
had a few rows of crude benches, a "black" board, a cast iron box
stove with the
smoke pipes extending through the roof, and the usual water bucket, dipper,
and
broom. In 1870, the entire expense of a five month school term was $143.
The old log
school was abandoned after it had served its purpose, and very likely was
eventually
used for firewood.
    In December 1877, Clerk John Yench was paid $2 to post notices of a special
meet-
ing to decide the question of building a new school. The vote was favorable
and so
the voters decided to buy a half acre of land for a school site from Joseph
Libal for
$10. The l6cation is the present one and is described as the S.W. corner
of the NW¼A
of section 28* Cooperstown. Before the building operations could be begun,
the site
had to be cleared of trees and stumps. Joseph Libal was paid $8 for this
work. John
and.Volrath Trapp built the frame schoolhouse for $144. The new equipment
and
other new building items brought the total cost to about $169. New homemade
benches
and schoolroom furniture were made. A large cast iron stove cared for the
heating.
The school was ventilated by opening the windows along the three sides of
the room.
Pine boards painted black were still used for blackboards. The beginning
of a library
was evidenced for a library cupboard was a part of the meager equipment.
The in-
terior walls were covered with wide boards, usually painted a pare green.
The floors
were of wide pine boards which later became full of cracks, slivers, and
humps of
knots.
    Evidently, the frame building built in 1878 became too crowded as the
district
became more settled for at the annual meeting in July 1900, it was voted
to build an
eight foot,addition on to the west or front end of the school at a cost of,
$207. The
schoolhouse could then accommodate about 45 scholars . Because there was
no well
on the schoolgrounds, water was gotten from John Marshek across the road
for $2
yearly. In 1891 Mathias Zeman was hired to drill a well for $26.50. At the
annual
school meeting each year, the voters decided who was to furnish the wood,
a school
officer was elected, the opening date of school decided, the length of the
school term
set, and possible teachers to hire at a salary suitable to the voters were
discussed.
    'The enrollment increased steadily so that by 1905 there were 74 pupils
attending.
A new state law passed by the Legislature required schools with more than
65 pupils
enrolled to provide an additional room if state aid was to be paid. Accordingly,
in
March 1907, Clerk Eman Shusta posted notices for a special school meeting
-on
April 1, 1907, to decide on the question of building a new building with
two rooms,
51


Go up to Top of Page