Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
School buildings, equipment, and school terms, pp. 4-5 PDF (1008.6 KB)
One of the pioneer industries of Manitowoc county was lumbering. Sawmills 7ere built along the many streams of our county where water power could be har- essed. These sawmills cut the logs into lumber. Some of this lumber was used to onstruct frame houses for the progressive settlers who were becoming dissatisfied 7ith the pioneer log houses. The growing school population by 1870 crowded the ttle log schoolhouse so that new quarters were imperative. The pioneer school was ,placed by frame and brick schoolhouses from 1870 to 1900, many of them still in se today. M..in~r..÷. o4 bowthat+ whnnl on-nllmpnt. of ro to 100 nunils per vere quite common. In 1905, the state legislature passed a law requiring dis- ith more than 65 pupils enrolled to provide an additional room and teacher it its share of the seven mill tax then in effect. Manitowoc county, upon pas- this law, experienced a mild boom in erecting two room buildings or in adding a room on the school building then in use. These two-room schools became as "graded" schools. Over twenty districts in Manitowoc county at one time maintained a graded school, although today only ten of such districts, in- those in the three cities, remain. schools uilt in me late i.otn century were sxn us ue , -. y 1 the school buildings outside of Manitowoc and Two Rivers in 1948 vo school buildings in the county are over 90 years old, four are 80 'e 70 years, twenty are 60 yeart, nineteen are 50 years, nineteen are are 30 years, nine are 20 years, one is 10 years, and three are over neer log school house was scantily furnished with crude, home-made sks and seats were made by someone in the district and were usual- t in length. They were all of one size, with the result that the young Led on a high bench with their legs dangling off the floor. It was not hem curled up on the bench fast asleep. The over-grown boy found ks too small, so his 'feet were sprawled out in the aisles. The long s were separated by an aisle down the middle of the room. The boys the room and the girls on the other side. A box stove, long enough t four foot cordwood, was placed in the center of the room. This had ting those sitting nearby but having no effect on those sitting -near or three windows along each long side of the schoolroom gave the g. These windows were often equipped with shutters which were ght. The drinking water was dispensed by a common dipper from ail. A teacher's desk, with the inevitable switch nearby, .was placed orm across the front of the room. Boards painted black were the nap or two of the state and nation, a variety of texts brought from es, and individual slates for the pupils completed the learning and nt of the nineteenth century schools in our county. h century witnessed the setting up of school building and equipment stAte and educational leaders. Heating plants had to have approved ns. The open water pail was replaced by sanitary covered jars and nts. The hand-made desks and seats were replaced in the later nine- ydouble desks and seats. Those in turn were replaced by single, ad- he wooden blackboards were discarded and slate and composition niform text books, references, library books, and modern school fur- s visual aids teaching and learning equipment became common to )Is. By 1948, about thirty rural districts were maintaining modern with indoor toilets, running water, electric service, and conveniences urban schools. About sixty districts were maintaining semi-modern 1 buildings. school term was often limited to three month terms of twenty-two In many schools a five or six month school term was maintained but into a summer and winter term. The winter term began in November ruary or March. The summer term began in April or May and closed st. The winter session was usually in charge of a male teacher be- nd girls from 15 to 21 years attended. The wages paid teachers for were always higher than for the spring or summer session teachers. ater or fall and spring terms were in vogue until about 1900. It was at the state prescribed at least an eight months school term in order te and county aid. A minimum term of nine monhs was specified by islature in 1937. 5 )r 4411 ý' 11 1 aAQ 9'1, .
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright