University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Mackesy, Lillian
Doctors, dentists and lawyers,   pp. 208-216 PDF (4.1 MB)


Page 209


DENTISTS  AND  LAWYERS
              George H. Myers
people through the years. In the early
days the horse and buggy and often the
saddled horse were as necessary to the
doctor as his familiar black bag and
saddle bag that he carried over back roads
and wilderness trails.
  The first half-century was not easy
for these doctors, for they fought cholera,
smallpox and diphtheria in    epidemic
form as well as each other in their struggle
to isolate communicable diseases and make
such things as vaccination a widespread
practice.
  Dr. Beach and the other early doctors
who followed him    were really typical
Icountry doctors'' since they were the
only medical men in the whole county
area for many years. The census of 1850
shows three doctors in Appleton for that
year, Doctors Beach, Robert Williams
and Justice C. Burroughs. The leading
doctors in 1853, and the only ones ac-
cording to T. H. Ryan in flis county
history, were Doctors Beach, H. M.
Merriman and Mosier. In 1854 Dr. M.
Mayer, a homeopathic surgeon from Ger-
many, settled. Dr. 1. A. Torrey opened a
branch office from Neenah in 1857 and
Dr. M. W. Williamson began his two
year practice in 1859, leaving for Florida
on the grounds that 'Appleton was too
healthy a place.''
  If the J.I.C. Meade who pioneered
Bovina Township before 1853 is the same
'JI.C. Meade, Eclectic Physician,'' who
was practicing medicine at the little
settlement of Shiocton in 1862, he, too,
was one of the county's very earliest
doctors. Hortonville had a resident phy-
sieian by the name of Perry as early as
1856, the Doctors Bowen and Mills com-
ing later. Dr. H. J. Hardacker, who came
as a small child to Outagamie County in
1848, was the best known early doctor
at Hortonville.
  By 1862 several new doctors located
at Appleton, including Doctors Thomas,
Fuller, Earle Ostrander, J. Sutherland, G.
R. Shaw and perhaps a few years later,
Dr. M. F. Page. In 1864 Dr. Merriman
died at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, a casualty
of the Civil War. He was assistant surgeon
of the Fourteenth New York Cavalry. The
list of Civil War dead also includes the
name of S. E. Beach, but there is no record
that this was the earlier Dr. Beach. The
1850 census shows Dr. Beach to be 28
years old in that year, so it is possible he,
too, succumbed in the Civil War.
  Following the Civil War, doctors came
to the county in greater numbers. Out-
standing in the sixties wvere the earlier
Dr. Page and Dr. M. J. E. Hulbert, a
tumor specialist who developed an active
practice but who moved to Illinois in
1868 after three successful years in Apple-
toill
  Dr. James Theodore Reeve came to
Appleton in 1865 following his service
as a Civil War surgeon and he practiced
there until his death in 1906. He was
president of the State Medical Society
for one year and served this organization
as its secretary for 18 years. He also was
DOCTORS,


Go up to Top of Page