Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship, pp. 164-185 PDF (10.2 MB)
THE LAND OF THE FOX W. E. Armitage, Bishop of the Diocese, assisted by clergy of the Diocese. Dr. Dafter, who had been Dean at the Cathedral in Fond du Lac, came to Apple- ton in 1895 and remained for seven years; he was followed by Dr. Seldon P. Delaney, who began the work on the new church, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1905 by a Bishop Weller of Fond du Lac. The church was not completed until 1916 when it was consecrated June 18 by Bishop Weller. The name of the new church had been changed from "Grace" Church to All Saints. Orok Colloque was rector from 1908 to 1910; the Rev. Doane Upjohn from 1912 to 1921; the longest period of service was by the Rev. W. J. Spicer who was rector from 1933 to 1946, when he was called to Syracuse, New York. The Rev. Robert A. Reister, the present rector has been in Appleton since 1946. THE GREEK ORTHODOX FAITH The Greek Orthodox group has no church organization in the city but holds services regularly three times a year in the All Saints Episcopal Church. A priest from the Greek church in Fond du Lac serves the small group in Appleton for special occasions and on the three great festivals of Easter, Assumption (August 15) and Christmas. Many of the Greeks attend the regular Episcopalian services also. HEBREW GROUPS The Jewish groups in the city of Apple- ton and in the county fall into two differ- ent societies, determined largely by time and race. The earliest group which dates from the 1860's was almost entirely com- posed of German Jews; the later group was largely composed of Eastern European Jews from Poland, Russia, Lithuania and Austria. The early people, represented by the Hammels, Ullmans and the Lyons, were the founders of the first religious center of their faith. In 1866 when these families arrived there was talk of a syna- gogue; private services led by lay members were held. But it was not until 1878 that the Temple Zion was planned. Actual construction began in 1881 and the build- ing was used henceforth for the Zion con- gregation. The first Rabbi, Mayer Samuel Weiss, came to Appleton in 1874 and remained until 1883. During his administration the Temple Zion was built but Rabbi Weiss has gained much more fame as the father of the famous "magician" Harry Houdini. Rabbi Solomon followed Rabbi Weiss and in 1892 Rabbi Emanuel Gerechter was called by the Zion congregation. Rabbi Gerechter became professor of Hebrew at Lawrence College in 1894 and then pro- fessor of German and Hebrew. He re- mained with the college until 1913, when he retired, but continued his duties with the Zion congregation until 1920, when he left Appleton. He enjoyed the good will and affection of all the citizens of Apple- ton. Rabbi Louis Brav, 1920-1921 was the last resident Rabbi of Temple Zion. Serv- ices are held privately by lay members but for certain occasions the Temple, al- though occupied by a Gospel Tabernacle group, is used and a rabbi from a neighbor- ing city or Milwaukee officiates. The younger group which came into existence in 1900 is composed of people who, in general, came later to Appleton or who were more orthodox and adhered to stricter observances than the congrega- tion of the somewhat more liberal Temple Zion. This new group organized itself into the Moses Montefiore congregation which in the beginning held its services at the home of E. Ressmann. In 1913 a small synagogue was built and the Rev. A. Zussman became the leader of the con- gregation. In 1922-1923 the new syna- gogue was completed. It has been served by Rabbis Bender, Glick, de Koven, Klein and David Herson, the present rabbi. A third group, the Beth-Israel congrega- tion consists of a little group which seceded from the Moses Montefiore con- gregation in 1938 and established itself as a separate community. They are the most orthodox group of the three
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright