University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County

Baker, Louis C.
Call to worship,   pp. 164-185 PDF (10.2 MB)

Page 181

sion (on spiritualism) in this city closed
on Saturday night last, five nights having
been occupied in the debate. Rev. Mr.
Haddock was better qualified with argu-
ments and authorities than his opponent,
Dr. Randall (apparently a substitute for
President Mason of Lawrence University)
who did not appear to have prepared
himself for the fray.'' Mr. Haddock, in
the opinion of the editor of the Crescent,
clearly won his side of the debate in
defense of Spiritualism. In January, 1871,
Mrs. Maggie Van Cott, the first woman
ever licensed by the Methodist church to
preach, held a series of meetings.
  There never was any organized Quaker
group in the county. Among the early
settlers of the Town of Freedom there were
a number of Quakers who held meetings
in homes for some years. The families have
disappeared and presumably no descend-
ants of these families are to be found in
the county.
   In 1865 a small band of Mormons who
 had not gone along with the main party
 on its journey to Utah after the abandon-
 ment of Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1846 came to
 Black Creek. Peter Harris was the Mormon
 preacher and Gilbert Watson, who was
 elected town treasurer in 1865, was one of
 the leaders among the Mormon colony.
 Other Mormons were Emery and Herman
 Downie, J. M. and George Waite. A
 number of French fa'milies who came
 earlier (1861) than Peter Harris also be-
 longed to the group, including the Joseph,
 John and Y. Felio families and the Wilson
 Brothers. The Berthiers soon disappeared
 and later the Mormon church was sold
 There were undoubtedly several groups
 of the Moravian faith located in the
 county by 1865 or 1870 but only one
 church survives from these earlier groups.
 It is located in the Town of Freedom and
 has a resident pastor, the Rev. R. J.
 Grabow. The church founded by mission-
 aries working out of Green Bay in 1867
 had as its first pastor a Rev. Zuecke and
 has maintained its independence since that
  These two groups, now united, began
almost the same time in Pennsylvania,
where Jacob Albright (Albrecht), a Lu-
theran, born in 1759, was converted to
Methodism in 1791. He was ordained in
the Methodist Church and began preach-
ing in Pennsylvania. He felt the urge to
go into a wider field and formed three
''classes" in central Pennsylvania, gradu-
ally consolidating them into a group out
of which was organized the new denomi-
nation known at first under the title
''Evangelische Gemeinschaft or Evangel-
ical Association of North America.'' In
1807 Albright became the first bishop of
the new Church.
  Philip Otterbein, formerly of the Re-
formed Church, founded the United
Brethren. He and Martin Boehme, a
Mennonite, made an evangelistic tour in
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, appearing in
Isaac Long's barn and beginning the serv-
ice with the sentence: ''We are Brethren!''
By 1800 the United Brethren was a recog-
nized church building
  In Outagamie County the Evangelical
Society and the Reformed Church ap-
peared first. In Greenville, at the home of
Friederich MuellKr, the Rev. Jacob Him-
mel, pastor of the Evangelical Church at
Oshkosh, held meetings in 1855-1856;
later others from Oshkosh continued these
services. The Rev. Lienkaemper was work-
ing in Dale at this time, organizing the
families who had recently come from
Pennsylvania, into a Reformed Church
congregation. After 12 years, in 1867, the
Zion Evangelical Church of Greenville
was dedicated during the ministry of a
Rev. Bockemuehl. In Ellington, meetings
were organized in 1858; a church, the
Emmanuel Evangelical Church, was dedi-
cated in 1864. The founders of this church
were the families of Christian Saiberlich
and Carl Breitrich. A second church was
built in 1876 but in 1924 the congregation
had become so small that the church was
closed and the building sold. Emmanuel

Go up to Top of Page