University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Our first 100 years, 1857-1957
([1957])

The middle years--1900-1945,   pp. 20-55 PDF (14.9 MB)


Page 22


  Company "G" off to the Spanish-American War.
ride free when in uniform, and at other
times, they had to pay the regular 5 cent fare.
  Streetcars were given the right-of-way
over everything except fire company vehi-
cles, police patrols and funerals. When the
streetcars came into use a six mile an hour
speed law was set up. This was to be the
The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge completed in 1924.
22
speed on the straightaway only; three miles
an hour was to be the speed on curves. We
had become more accustomed to greater
speeds than this by 1911, so the law was
liberalized. Twelve miles per hour on a
straight track and six on the curves was then
permissible.
  The electric rail system was not limited to
city service only. While this system was at
its height in popularity it extended from one
end of the Fox River Valley to the other. The
Kaukauna extension was inaugurated in
1900.
  Records show the Appleton had an "auto-
mobile craze" in 1903. With much the same
purpose as prompted the bicycle craze in the
gay 90's some of these early automobile
enthusiasts united in a club to talk over
common    problems and    promote various
means of "showing off these new-fangled
contraptions."
  As the automobile came into greater use it
soon became apparent that ultimately the
electric rail system would be replaced. As the
last run was made in 1930, a considerable
number of people got on for the final ride.


Go up to Top of Page