University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Our first 100 years, 1857-1957
([1957])

The early days--1857-1900,   pp. 2-19 PDF (6.7 MB)


Page 8


1875-Telulah Park.
  In 1866 the company was sold to a new
corporation, the Green Bay and Mississippi
Canal company, which today deals largely in
water power. The United States government
purchased the locks and canals for $145,000
in 1872 and assumed control and mainte-
nance of the locks and navigation aids.
  With the coming of the railroad-the first
to reach Outagamie county was the Chicago
and North Western which built from Neenah-
Menasha in 1861-Fox and Wisconsin river
traffic declined after a brief but colorful
steamship era. In the early 70's came more
rail lines-the Green Bay and Lake Pepin,
the Wisconsin Central and the Milwaukee,
Lake Shore and Western. Then there was the
Menasha and Appleton railroad in 1880, sub-
sequently taken over by the Chicago, Mil-
waukee and St. Paul in 1893.
  Appleton was distinguished in the field of
communications, too; in 1877, an Appleton
banker, Alfred Galpin, a student of chemis-
try and electricity, intrigued by tales of
Alexander Graham Bell and his instrument
that talked, put together his own telephone,
connecting his bank and residence. He in-
terested L. N. Benoit, a druggist, in his
project. Benoit immediately saw the possi-
bilities and promptly installed several phones
in his store. Enthusiastically he strung wires
to connect his phones with the offices of sever-
al Appleton physicians, thus helping Apple-
ton become the only Wisconsin city other than
Milwaukee to report telephone development
by that early date. In 1878 Benoit had a
switchboard serving 25 phones; upon his
death, in 1881, a company which a bit later
became the Wisconsin Telephone company
purchased the exchange.
8


Go up to Top of Page