University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Our first 100 years, 1857-1957
([1957])

The early days--1857-1900,   pp. 2-19 PDF (6.7 MB)


Page 4


  The little family, numbering father and
mother and tiny children, Simon and Elinore,
walked from Green Bay to Appleton to make
their new home, the children struggling
through grasses taller than they. Home, trad-
ing post arid inn the White Heron was. To-
day, the five acres at the site of the old inn is
the home of Hippolyte's great granddaugh-
ter, Mrs. Abraham Lewenstein, her husband
and son, Simon, named for the two and a half
year old little boy who, 122 years ago, carried
his own pack on his back with his mother and
daddy to a new home in the wilderness. The
White Heron, a log house with two wings, the
one for sleeping and the other to serve as
store, became the hub of a tract of 107.66
acres which Grignon subsequently acquired
from the government.
  That was the beginning.
  And then the settlers began to straggle in,
on foot, by wagon and ox cart, warmed by the
feeling of neighborliness and welcome which
Appleton likes to feel is one of its most promi-
nent characteristics.
  Among the travelers was a committee
appointed to seek a location for an educa-
tional institution-it had an offer from one
Amos Lawrence of Boston for $10,000 if the
Wisconsin Methodist conference could raise
a similar sum.
  The Rev. Reeder Smith, George Day and
Henry Blood selected a point on the "grand
chute" of the Fox river, and that is how the
college became father to the city which sur-
rounds it.
  The college, Lawrence university, was
chartered in 1847 by the territorial legisla-
ture; building operations began in late
sumer of 1848, and the Rev. William H.
Sampson, Henry Blood and Joel S. Wright
appeared to survey the college and its en-
virons. At their request, Appleton's very first
permanent white citizen, John F. Johnston,
appeared from Menasha to open a lodging
house for college workmen. It was more than
that. It was hotel and hospital, church, Sun-
day school, post office and social center.
  By 1849, many families had settled;
churches were organizing their congrega-
tions. Among the citizens hacking a com-
munity out of their wilderness settlement
were Robert H. Bateman, the Rev. A. B.
1858-Early view of Appleton--South side of Fox River.
4
j
J


Go up to Top of Page