University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin archeologist, vol. 9, no. 1 (October 1929)
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)

Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin,   pp. [6]-18


Page 13

Indian Village and Camp Sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin.  13
of these trails also appear on Aug. Mitchell's map of Wis-
consin and Iowa, 1838.
A trail from Fontana, at the western end of Lake Geneva,
ran to Beloit. This was the Chicago trail. Fontana was
the location of Chief Big Foot's Potawatomi village. Its
curving course was at different points from two to six miles
south of Turtle Creek.
At a distance of about three miles east of the present lim-
its of Beloit this trail was intersected by a trail running
west from the site of Delavan. This rail crossed the Creek
and ran in a southwest direction to the mouth of the Creek
in Beloit. These appear on Cram's map of 1839. A trail
also followed the north bank of Turtle Creek.
A trail from the southwest shore of Lake Kegonsa in
Dane County ran down the west bank of the Catfish River
to about two miles below Dunkirk where it crossed the river.
It continued down the east bank to Fulton where it again
crossed the river. Its course is shown on the Milwaukee
Land District map, 1840.
FORDS
The Rock River was forded by the early Indians in a
number of the shallow places along its course.- The exact
site of some of these river crossings is well known. One of
these was at the foot of Lake Koshkonong at the site of
present Newville. At Indian Ford the river crossing is re-
ported to have been at the river bend just north of the set-
tlement. The Indians are also said to have crossed at times
in the shallows just below the present highway bridge and
power. dam.
There was a ford about a half mile below the mouth of
A'he Catfish River where a highway bridge was afterwards
erected and later removed. Another ford was located op-
posite the Parish and Shoemaker farms at the Four Mile
bridge, north of Janesville. At Janesville there were sev-
eral fords, "Rock Ford," the best known crossing, being near
the present Janesville to Beloit highway bridge, formerly
known as the Monteray bridge.
Another crossing was probably north of the mouth of
Bass Creek at Afton. At Beloit there were several cross-


Go up to Top of Page