University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin archeologist, vol. 9, no. 1 (October 1929)
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)

Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin,   pp. [6]-18

Page 12

trails west of this one and leading southward across the
prairies from an Indian village site and the Thibault and
other French traders' cabin sites on the southeast shore of
Lake Koshkonong. The eastern of these two trails forked,
the east fork running in a southeasterly direction for three
miles and uniting with the Army trail. The western trail
ran to Janesville. All of these trails united with or inter-
sected a trail running from the northern end of Lake Kosh-
konong to the present site of Newville at the foot of the
lake. Just before roching the foot of the lake, in Section
8, this trail forked, the northern fork crossing the Rock at
a ford at the foot of the lake, the other following southward
alonk the river bank as already described.
A trail from "Caramanee," an early "paper city" located
south of the mouth of the Catfish River at Fulton, ran west-
ward across Rock County to the Sugar River at Livingston.
It continued on to Monroe.
A trail from "Rockport," on the west bank of the Rock,
opposite Janesville, pursued a northwest direction across
Rock County toward the Madison lakes. Another trail
from the site of present Janesville ran across the Rock
County prairies in a southeasterly direction to the site of
present DelaVan in Walworth County.
These trails and the trail from Janesville to Milton and
Lake Koshkonong, appear on Capt. Thomas J. Cram's "Map
of Wiskonsin Territory," 1839. The trail from Fulton to
Livingston is also shown on a map of Tanner's Wisconsin
atlas of 1844. This map shows the Delavan to Janesville
trail continuing westward from Janesville to De Munn's
trading post, "Centerville," on the Sugar River near Brod-
head in Green County. A trail from the east, from "Wau-
keeshah," also came to Janesville. It appears on Farmer's
map, 1830.
Beloit was a center for a number of trails besides the one
already noted. One trail ran from the west bank of the
Rock, above Beloit, in a northwest direction. In the south-
east corner of Section 17 of Beloit Township this trail
forked, the north fork running in a northwest direction to
Orfordville and on to the Sugar River. The south trail ran
in a northwest direction to the vicinity of present Brodhead
on the Sugar. These are shown on Tanner's map. Most
Vol. 9, No. I

Go up to Top of Page