The Wisconsin archeologist, vol. 9, no. 1 (October 1929)
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)
Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin, pp. -18
The name "R a la Roche" or "Stoney R." appears on a United States map of 1783. This map shows a "carrying place" or portage between the headwaters of the Rock and those of the Fond du Lac river. Another map of the same date, engraved by Wm. Faden, carries the name "Rocky R." and shows the Kickapoo located on its south bank midway between its source and mouth. Other American and for- eign maps of the years 1790 to 1820 carry the names "R. Assenisipi or Rocky R.", "Stony R." or "R. Roche." On the J. Warr. Jr., map, 1825, the name "Rock River" ap- pears. Some of the maps of the years 1796 to 1817 are curious in that they show the Rock river as a rather insignificant small stream. In at least one map it is shown as flowing into the Illinois river. The Rock River does not appear on Jean Boisseau's map of New France, 1643, on Joliet's map of 1674, or on Lahon- tan's map of the Longue River, 1703. It is apparently in- dicated by a small stream on Hennepin's map, 1698. Sam- uel de Champlain's interesting map bears the date 1632, two years before Jean Nicollet's discovery of Wisconsin. ROCK RIVER TRAILS A considerable number of Indian trails connected the In- dian camp and villages on the lower Rock River in south- eastern Wisconsin with each other and with other similar sites at a distance in every direction. These ancient tray- elways were of two kinds, those which followed the course of the stream from north to south, and those which ap- proached it from various directions. The courses of some of these aboriginal paths are preserved on the government maps, and others on other early Wisconsin maps in the pos- session of the Wisconsin Historical Society. The courses of some others and which the pioneer settlers of this part of Wisconsin knew and traveled, are not shown on any known map. One of the most important of the early trails of the lower Rock River region in southeastern Wisconsin came from the present location of Newville, at the foot of Lake Koshko- nong. This twil followed down the east bank of the river avoiding the mar'hy lands in the northeastern part of Ful- Vol. 9, No. 1 10 WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright