University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin archeologist, vol. 9, no. 1 (October 1929)
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)

Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin,   pp. [6]-18


Page 9

Indian Village and Camp Sites of the Lower Rock River In Wisconsin.  9
To this information Mr. Robert H. Becker has added:
"This description of Turtle Creek tells nothing of the
beauty of this stream and the fertile valley through which
it flows. Near Beloit, where the Creek is quite large it is
especially beautiful, cutting deep into the limestone hills,
or, as it winds through broad rolling valleys, joined here
and there by brooks of clearest spring water."*
The length of this creek is about twenty-five miles.
EARLIEST ROCK RIVER MAPS
A Dutch map of Marquette and Joliet printed by Pieter
Vander Aa, at Leyden, 1673, gives the name of the Rock as
the "Kicapoue R." It is shown as flowing from the western
shore of Lake Michigan directly west to the "R. Missipy."
The "Maskoutenten" are shown as occupying the lands di-
rectly north of the Rock, and the Kikabeux," Miamis and
"Illinoysen" those directly south of it.
Louis Hennepin's map of 1683 names the Rock as the
"Seignelai R." with the Illinois located north of it.
A French map of "Louisiana and Course of the Missis-
sippi," dated 1718, shows the "R. a la Roche" flowing from
the region of the "Mascouten or Fire Nation," west of Chi-
cagou," straight westward to the Mississippi instead of in
a southwesterly direction to that stream. On an English
map of 1720 the course of the river is the same and its name
is given as "Assenini or R. a a- Roche." The John Senex
map of 1718-21 also gives this course and this name for the
Rock. On all of these maps the presence of a "Christal de
Roche" or "Christal Rock" is indicated south of the river,
not far from its mouth.
An English "Map of the Western Parts of the Colony of
Virginia," 1754, gives the name of "Assenisipi R." to the
Rock river. On Debrett's "Map of the United States of
America," 1795, the stream is called the "Rocky R." This
map and some other maps of this time show a range of hills
or mountains extending westward from near the foot of
Lake Michigan toward the mouth of the Rock.       Thos.
Hutchin's "Map of the Western Parts (Etc.)" 1778, shows
the "Riviere a la Roche" flowing in its proper direction.
*.12 Wis. Archeo., 1, p. 7.


Go up to Top of Page