University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Wisconsin archeologist, vol. 9, no. 1 (October 1929)
Vol. 9 No. 1 (October, 1929)

Indian village and camp sites of the Lower Rock River in Wisconsin,   pp. [6]-18


Page 8

on its eastern bank. A small creek flows into the Rock on
its eastern bank about a mile north of Riton and a similar
brook enters it on its western bank at about the same dis-
tance south of this place.
The Rock in this part of Wisconsin, after ninety years of
occupation of its shorelands by white settlers, who have
placed these under cultivation or put them to other uses,
have drained its lowlands, and built cities and established
summer resort colonies, is still a very attractive stream. Of
the rather dense forests which once clothed its banks wood-
ed areas of considerable size remain at different places
along its course, and trees fringe its banks in other places.
In the rear of its bluffs and lowlands there formerly
stretched broad prairies with oak openings. South of Lake
Koshkonong and east of Indian Ford was a large prairie
to which early maps and settlers gave the name of Prairie-
du Lac. South of it was Rock Prairie.
The old Winnebago Indian name for the Rock was
E-neen-ne-shun-nuck, or "river of big stones."  An early
Algonkian Indian name was Assini-sipi, or stone river.
Since this stream became known to white men it has borne
the names of "Kicapoue R.", "Stoney R." and "Rocky R.",
and other names. Louis Hennepin's map of 1683 names
the Rock as the "Seignelai R." and shows the Illinois located
north (east) of it.
The Catfish or Yahara River appears on some early maps
as the  "Goosh-ke-hawn" (Koshkonong?), "Cos-ca-ho-e-
nah," and "River of the 4 Lakes."
Its Winnebago Indian name was Ho-wich-ra, "catfish."
The Winnebago Indian name for Turtle Creek is given
by Dr. N. P. Jipson as Ke-chunk-nee-shun-nuk-ra.* This
stream is described in the "History of Rock County" :-"A
stream flowing out of Turtle Lake in the northwestern cor-
ner of the town of Richmond in Walworth County, unites
near the west line of the town of Delavan with the outlet of
Delavan Lake, and the united streams form Turtle Creek,
which following a westerly course enters Rock County on
Sec. 13 in the town of Bradford, flows west and southwest
and empties into Rock River just below the State line at
Beloit."
* 2 Wis. Archeo., 3, p. 128, n. s.
8    WISCONSIN ARCHEOLOGIST.
Vol. 9, No. I


Go up to Top of Page