Dicke, Robert J. (ed.) / Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters
volume XLIV (1955)
McCabe, Robert A.
The prehistoric engineer-farmers of Chihuahua, pp. 75-90 PDF (6.1 MB)
The "council ring" was made of large angular stones that appeared to have been quarried. There was no quarry site found within a mile radius of the ruins area. The stones could have been cut on the spot, but the possibility seems unlikely. 1955] McCabe—Engineer-Farmers of Chihuahua 79 in each case had a commanding view of the surrounding country. An excellent picture of such a ruin is presented by Sayles.'2 One ruin in particular overlooked the Gavilan valley. The original building had been built on a small bench just below the rim of the tallest mesa. The stone walls had long since fallen apart but enough remained to show that the single room was about 12 feet by 12 feet. The roof was probably thatched. Ralph L. Beals'3 in his studies on comparative ethnology of northern Mexico indicates that thatched roofs were used by the early inhabitants of this region. It so happens that in the Gavilan area there grows a tall bunch grass of the genus Muhienbergia that appears to be suitable for thatching. THE "RUINS" The trincheras and the lookout hut were not, however, the only evidences of prehistoric peoples in the Gavilan River area. Floyd Johnson pointed out an area near our camp that he called the ~ Plate 11, p. 14, E. B. Sayles. "An archeological survey of Chihuahua Mexico", The Medallion, Gila Pueblo—Globe Arizona Private printing, 1936. 13 p. 138, Ralph L. Reals. "The comparative ethnology of northern Mexico before 1750", Ibero—Americana: 2, Univ. California Press, Berkeley, 1932.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright