Milmine, Geo. R. (ed.) / Racine advocate city and county residence and business directory of Racine, Wisconsin
Town of Yorkville, pp. -298 ff. PDF (4.2 MB)
GORTON & BUFFHAM. We are Sole Agents for the Bingham Buwner. Town of Yorkville. Town No. 3, Range 21 East. TOWN ORGANIZATION. John Bosustow, Chairman. 0. S. Northrup, Sujer-isorv. Peter Meyer, John McBeth, Clerk. J. Motley, Assessor. J. Collier, Treasurer. J. E. Powles, C. K. McEachron, Justices of the Peace. John Donald, Ed. Quinn, John Lugg, Constables. Population-Males, 8io; Females, 755 ; Total, 1,565. UNION GROVE VILLAGE. The building of railroads throughout the West, has been the cause of hundreds of new towns springing into existence, very many of which have become manufacturing and business villages and cities, far excel- ling in size and activity the older ones of the East. Among the villages which date their beginning from such circumstances, is Union Grove, a thriving place of upwards of five hundred inhabitants, situated on the line of the Western Union Railroad, fifteen miles west of the city of Racine. In August, 1856, the first train of cars made its appearance at the Grove, and soon after, Mr. P. P. Taber, erected a building on the corner of Market street, opposite the depot, and commenced busi- ness as a merchant. James Russell followed him in a short time with a lumber yard, and E. D. Cadwell, with a iblacksmith shop. The town plat was made in 1856, by a company, of which Dr. A. P. Adams, was President and S. H. Skewes, general manager. The plat comprised all the land in the village west of Market street and south of the Rail Road, and that portion north of the Railroad west of State street. Several additions have since been made, and the, village plat more than doubled. In 1857 the Moe Brothers commenced business as carpenters and builders, and were also engaged in the lumber trade. 37 H. W. WRIGHT makes the best Outside Winds.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain. Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).