Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[On Highway NN], pp. 94-95 PDF (731.3 KB)
COUNTY ANNEX-WEST. Note the cupola on the roof. This was the original Walworth County General Hospital. Later it housed the County Poor Farm residents. In 1967, it was remodeled and became the Walworth County Hospital and Home Annex. UWEX, University of Wisconsin-Extension, was first available in this county when the first county agricultural agent, James Murphy, was hired on February 15, 1915. He worked with farmers' clubs, established a farm employment bureau, did rope splic- ing, tested soil, started dairy testing pro- grams, and helped control hog cholera. Mr. Murphy later established Murphy Products Co. Other departments Included the ASCS (Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation Service), Land Conservation and Soil Conservation Service (SCS), County Housing Authority, and the Association for the Prevention of Family Violence. LAKELAND NURSING HOME. This institution began in 1852 as the Walworth County Poor Farm and the Asylum for the Chronic Insane. In the early days, many residents worked on the county farm to help pro- duce food which they would be eating. In 1879, a separate institution for the insane and another for the homeless and poor were established. In 1917, a county asylum with infirmary was built. In 1970, the name Lakeland Nursing Home was initiated for the Institution to serve aged, infirmed and the residents from the County Mental Hospital. PUBLIC HEALTH NURSES. The first recorded Health Committee meeting was October 29, 1921. A budget of $4,000 was estab- lished to start a County Infant Welfare Association. Miss Bertha Becht, R.N., was the first county nurse. LAKELAND FARM. With its herd of Holstein dairy cattle, the farm is a research center in cooperation with UW-Extension and UW- Madison. Bi-annually it hosts the Walworth County Dairy Breakfast. More than 3,000 attended this sesquicentennial year. THE WEEK 95
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).