University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
(1998)

[Avery A. Hoyt house],   p. 17 PDF (361.5 KB)


Page 17


John E. Hopkins purchased the land from
the United States Government March 6,
1839. He sold it to Gilman H. Hoyt March 30,
1840 and Mr Hoyt in turn sold it to John
Crego, Sr. in 1846. As near as we can tell by
the abstract, the house was built by Lura
Crego Comstack about 1863 and was in
the Crego family until April 24, 1873 and
then it was sold to Avery A. Hoyt. Sam
Fredrickson bought the house July 10, 1906
and sold it to Delbert Harden October 9,
1909. It was purchased by Orlie and Mae
Miller February 26, 1916 and July 14, 1960
by their daughter and son-in-law, Nancy
and Arthur Goetsch, who reside there
today.
Avery Atkins Hoyt, 1824-1906 came to
Honey Creek at the age of 13 through an
early winter storm in October. At fifteen, he
worked for John Hopkins and at seventeen
bought his first forty acres. He married
Carolina Hoyt, daughter of Tristan C. Hoyt in
1847 and they were important and active
people. Avery Hoyt is credited with plant-
ing 1000 sugar maple trees along the roads
from 1845 to 1860. Honey Creek is a special
place every fall with these ancient trees in
full color.
               Nancy and Arthur Goetsch
APPLIANCE
REPAIR
17


Go up to Top of Page