Smith, Mariam / The history of Omro
Indian to-do, pp. 40-41
40 INDIAN TO-DO The north side of the Fox river was referred to as "Indian Land." For this reason all dwellings and mills at first were bui t on south bank of the river which was government land. With many Indians living in the area there are interesting tales of their encounters with the new settlers. N The Early Settler recalls the old Indian scrimmage that happened ;e,1at Omro years ago in the summer of 1844 as it was told to him. "Cap- ¢ctainXm. Powell (a half-breed) was in his trading post. The Winnebago .Andians--200 strong under Old Yellow Thunder were camped near the ou let of Rush Lake. Yellow Thunder's son and 11 other bucks came to Powell's post to rob him of whiskey and just have a spree. At the time Jed Smalley, Leb Dickerson and Charley Carron, a Menominee half-breed, were in the place and they helped Powell. The struggle started with fists and clubs. "Capt. Powell had his arm broken and it was getting rather rough, justas.Doct-rLWinde came in from Eureka. TheDoctor threw down his .,pack, coc -d both barrels of his gun, and went into the fight. They .. proceeded very vigorously and the doctor had no time to think, till ;t he discovered that 12 Indians had been laid out. Then those hurt A were attended to. -Powell's arm was set by the doctor, and the rest of the bucks given one drink of fire water. They that were alive journeyed home. When Old Yellow Thunder heard their story and saw their plight, he laughed at them. After that Dr. Linde was a great friend among the Indians. Later Dr. Linde bought 200 acres where the Northern Hospital now stands." Powell, an old man in 1878, spent his last years near or at Shawano, as did a Mr. LeFevre of this area* , Changes were taing, place rwapidly and the settlers were forging 'ahead. On March 11th, 1848, Wo4inneconne was set off, taking from the town of Butte des iMlorts the fraction of the southeast corner of town By act of Mlarch 15th, 1849, the following were elected for the town of Bloomingdale: Nelson Olin, Chairman; Jude F. Rogers and John Nelson, supervisors; J.M. Olin, Clerk; John Paddleford, Treasurer and C.oC. Bigelow, Justice. It has been recorded that in the 1847 census there were regist- ered 21 souls. These people resided in Beckwithtown which was laid out that year. True, there were not many residents at that time, but by 1855 the population had exploded to 1,602, even larger than Os~hkosh, by 1>t A Cracky' One report was that in 1880 the census numbered 3,000. Another report suggested 3,5O0' People do get carried awayo this was. in the boom era of Otaro. /f7 3l The year 1890 showed a decline, the census numbered only 1,358 souls. In 1896 the population was about 1,Z200. The boom had really "flatted out". 1920 numbered 1,042; 1930 it increased to 1,255, Pop- ulation in 1960 was 1,991, and in 1970, census was 2,341. IJ-2)7o.
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| Original material owned by Omro Public Library.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright