Wisconsin Cheese Makers' Association / Proceedings of the Wisconsin Cheese Makers' Association thirty-third annual convention December 10, 11, 12, 1924 assembled in the Milwaukee Auditorium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hubert, W. F.
Early cheese history, pp. 49-53 PDF (1.2 MB)
52 WISCONSIN CHEESE MAKERS' ASSOCIATION P. H. Kasper, now of Bear Creek, Wis., and Math. Michels of Fond du Lac, were the first cheese makers who made cheese the entire year, starting in the winter of 1893 and 1894. Up to 1900, all cheese held in storage had to have the mould re- moved before they were shipped. They were washed, and when the rind was dry, they were covered with a dressing or grease. At that time the Standard Oil Co. had a test made so as to paraffine cheese to prevent mould. The first paraffining was done at Utica, N. Y. The Standard Oil Co. persuaded Mr. DeLand to try paraffining cheese, and the first cheese we paraffined were sent to the Paris Exposition in 1900. We tried it out by using an iron kettle, such as is used by farmers when heating water, and had a galvanized tank made. First we heated the water, then put the tank in hot water, and when the paraffine was warm, we used four pronged tongs to dip same. We abandoned this method of paraffining cheese and built a tank, in which steam coils were placed. This tank and rack are still being used by us in paraffining cheese. About the year 1902, the Long Horn style of cheese was first made in Topeka, Kansas, and, as we were having calls for this shape of cheese, we had hoops made at Sheboygan Falls and started four fac- tories making same. The demand for this style of cheese has in- creased by leaps and bounds up to the present time. The square hoop was patented by Mr. Geo. Schute of Manitowoc, but it did not become popular until about the time his patent expired. This patent was sold to the N. Simon Co. of Neenah. Crosby & Meyers of Chicago originated the oblong ten pound Print hoop, which *found immediate favor. From Switzerland in 1845, forced by economic necessity, twenty- seven families came to Wisconsin. Like bees before swarming, they had sent in advance two pioneers to spy out a land and find a suit- able settling place. After two months of weary travel through nearly all the northwestern states, passing by the broad rich prairies of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Missouri, near to commerce and transpor- tation, as unfit for their purpose, and among the roughest hills of Green County, selected the location for the colony, which complied closest with the instructions they had to secure a location as like old Switzerland as possible. The colony, after a journey of four months down the Rhine to the ocean in boats, across the ocean to Baltimore fn a sailing vessel, thence to Galena by canal and steamer, and from Galena to Green County on foot, clustered in the valley of New Glarus, this colony started to make cheese. Here the greatest of all industry of southern Wisconsin had its birth. Just as soon as the settlers owned a cow, the germ of knowledge, which they had brought with them, began to sprout. At first, infinitely small was the growth. A pailful of milk, a copper kettle and a wooden hoop split from a sap- ling, were the beginning of the industry. Cheese no larger than a Daisy, which could be held in the hands of a child, were the ancestors of the 200 pound Swiss cheese, now standard. Nickalus Gerber, a native of Switzerland, who immigrated to America in 1857, started the first Limburger cheese factory in Bloom-
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright