Unity, Wisconsin centennial
Just remembering, pp. 20-23
Memorial Hall JUST REMEMBERING When ice was cut in large square blocks and kept in t'fie barn behind the Kops Hotel (C. Reise's). The wooden sidewalks. The steel post along the main street to which the "traders" would tie their horses. When we had several passenger trains daily, and the villagers would meet the trains. When bread was packed in large wooden boxes and was shipped by train to the local merchants. In 1923 when the Unity Tourist Park was being developed and Unity folks had a place for their picnics. The exciting basketball games of the High School and the city "Tigers" that were played in our "cracker-box" hall. This hall was replaced in 1947 with the present structure. George Cook was appointed the first State Traffic Police. Two of the frame houses which were built in 1874 are still in use; the Ed- mund Creed house is occupied by the Ralph Leonhard family, and the F. Darling house is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Cook. Country children were brought to school by horse drawn covered wagon or sleigh. In cold weather it was heated by a kerosene burner. Kids shoveled the snow from the pond south of town and enjoyed ice-skating there. A large bonfire provided warmth and light. Rural mail carriers used horse drawn vehicles in summer and winter.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright