University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Ziehli, Rosemary / A time gone, 1940-50
(1983)

1945,   pp. 42-48 PDF (1.5 MB)


Page 45

At the annual school board meeting that year, a recommended
budget passed upon, whereby money could be used to purchase a
home for the principal of the schools. This had been a real problem
for the past few years and the only solution was for the board
to secure and buy a house for this purpose.
Paul Lebrecht bought out George Staley in the grocery business.
Mr. Staley had been in the grocery business in Belleville for twenty
years.
Joe Sarbacker and Harley Short, 4H boys who had stock exhibits at
the Stoughton Fair, were told they could not stay on the grounds over
night. Taking a blanket, the boys found a cemetary where they didn't
think they would be bothered and lying the blanket amongst the stones,
they enjoyed a good night's sleep.
In August, Belleville had what was known as a produce company.
The owners, Mr. Earl Williams and Son of Chicago, opened their
business here as a branch of their Chicago firm. They would buy at
highest prices eggs and poultry.
President Harry Truman announced Tuesday, August 14, at six p.m.
that fighting in World War II had ended. Belleville received the news
enthusiastically, but in a rather quiet manner. The Pet Milk factory and
village sirens blew. All the church bells rang. After these had quieted
down, children got on their bicycles with cans tied to them and cars began
driving through the street honking their horns. Eddie Gillette got out a
contraption that surpassed the siren for noise. Later on, Lester
Willoughby connected a loud speaker on the radio, and everyone could hear
what was going on in Madison. Church services were held in the Methodist


Go up to Top of Page