University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The Oriole year book: Evansville Junior College

Honor roll

front. After his death his Corporal wrote of him as follows: "Jay was
killed July 21, 1918, in the American counter-drive at Soissons, France.
It was the hard fighting there that turned the tide of German advance. I
did not see him at the moment he was killed, but just a few moments later.
He did not suffer any. As a soldier Jay was quiet and reserved, always ready
to do his duty. He died as a soldier, with face to the front advancing in
one of the hardest fought battles of the war. Before his death he rendered
great aid to wounded comrades, never delaying a moment in the face of terrible
shell fire. The Testament you ask about he carried at all times, and I believe
it was buried with him on the battle field of honor." 
Sgt. Floyd C. Holub was a member of the Field Hospital, Co. 126 of the 32nd
I)iv. Eeing a meriber of the National Guards he was in the game early and
was sent overseas in February, 1918. They were very soon sent to the front
where he worked almost constantly until his death on Oct. 19, 1918. His work
was to give first aid to the boys on the field and also assist the surgeons.
He had passed through Chateau Thiery and many of the hardest battles without
receiving the slightest injury until the moment of his death. A comrade wrote
of him: "I had the pleasure of first meeting the Sergeant at Camp Douglas
and then during the time we served at Camp McArthur, Texas. Had learned to
respect him, not only in his military capacity, but also as a man who carried
those high Christian ideal about him that one could not help but look up
to him as an example to all us men. The Sergeant's death meant the loss of
a brother in the army to me, for we were more like brothers than friends.
His memory shall always inspire me to attain those principles he so sacredly
treasured. It would be well for you to know that he endured no pain; he was
called from his labors to his reward as if awakened from a sleep. The company
did everything possible to relieve him after the shell-shock, but life was
William Russell enlisted in the Navy Reserve June 3rd, 1918, at Burlington,
Iowa. He spent some time in training at Great Lakes and was then transferred
to !,Iorfolk, Virginia.  During his active service he was on the Battleship
Vermont. When stricken with flu he was transferred to the Hospital ship Solace,
where he died Oct. 6th, 1918. 
Frank Griffith entered the service in October, 1917. He was transferred from
Camp Grant to.Camp White, Ark., and there became a member of the 58th Infantry.
In April, 1918 he went overseas and soon went to the front where he faced
America's foes until Aug. 6th, when he was killed by a shell near Fimbes,

Go up to Top of Page