Businesses of yesterday, pp. 185-218
The Stratford Opera House Photo courtesy of Paul Untiet The Stratford Opera House was orginally located where the Village Hall is today. It was moved to Second Street sometime prior to 1910. It was the sight of much of Stratford's entertainment. Minstrel groups and traveling play groups would come to Stratford to put on presentations. It is mentioned in many accounts of weddings as being the location of the wedding dances. The dances were held upstairs. From Stratford Journal, June 20, 1919: New Management in Opera House Geo. Rifleman andP. J. Ladron have leased the Stratford Opera House and have taken charge. Their idea seems to be that anything that is worth doing is worth doing well and want to carry out this idea in their undertaking by giving the people of this locality the very best possible in movies. Jaeger's Bar DANCE Tonight at Jaegers Hall Sept. 21--Pete Webers Sept. 24--Shooting match and dance at Herman Reichert's SATURDAY NIGHT! Harry J. Earle PRESENTS "A Happy Night in Dixie"_ Merry Musical Mixup A Show Above the Average CLEAN-CLEVER-CLASSY SPECIAL SCENERY PRETTY GIRLS Dixieland's Dandiest Dancing Dandies Opera House Stratford Saturday,Aug. 21', Another popular Stratford gathering place for many years was Jaeger's Bar. The bar was pur- chased in 1915. At that time it was known as Jaeger & Sons Tavern and was run by John Jaeger and his son, Arnold. In 1939 the Jaeger's installed a Frigidaire locker system. It contained 114 lockers capable of storing 300 pounds of meat. For many years Jaeger's hosted the Skat Sec- tional Tournaments. Skat players from all over the area would gather to show their skill at the popular card game. The tavern still looks the same. It is closed to the public.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright