University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial

Businesses of yesterday,   pp. 185-218

Page 186

It was a "Company Store" and many times men's wages
had been spent there before pay day. A strong interdepend-
ence developed between the "Company" and the men and the
men and the"Company".
George Davel came to Stratford in 1898 and began
working in the Connor Store.
The store underwent many changes as Stratford grew,
becoming more modem and expanding the types of merchan-
dise. As families located in the village a few luxuries were
added. In 1921 the wooden building was moved and a brick
and stone building was constructed with 30,000 feet of space.
The north side of the building contained offices.
At the time of the opening of the new store, George Davel
was the store superintendent and the department heads were
J.J. Whitmeyer, Frank Lillge and Otto Radtke.
In 1922 a door was made on the south side and a drug
store and ice cream parlor were added. That same year they
opened a retail lumber yard at the rear of the store.
By 1931 the store was growing again. The Connor
Company added a new auditorium. The woodwork was of
dark oak and the walls were finished in cream color. The stage
was described as being the most up-to-date having, a row of
footlights and ceiling lights as well as very expensive velvet
JUST arrived---several new models of ROYAL
WORCESTER corsets fresh with Fashion's
very latest touches. Those who already wear these
fashionable corsets need no further invitation
than this mere announcement.
And to others we would say that this showing
of ROYAL    WORCESTER      models is a style
event well worth visiting.
Expert corsetieres in attendance to aid
your selection and insure correct fitting of
The Home of Hart Schaffner & Marx
Advertisement from Stratford Journal, 1916.
The stage could accomodate a cast of over 60 people. The
auditorium boasted a seating capacity of over five hundred.
The balcony on the east end of the hall had a seating capacity
of 125.
The Connor's sold the store in 1936. It was purchased by
George Davel. Ted Zoellner and Ted Oettinger purchased the
New Building
Inside Connor Store

Go up to Top of Page