University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial

And that's the way it was...,   pp. 161-162

Page 162

sau. Instructions reached Mr. Ritger from the relatives of
Kujawa Thursday afternoon and it is probable that his remains
will be sent to Almond. Both of the men who were killed were
single and about thirty years of age.
October 1923 - The Stratford Brewing Company will
commence the manufacture of 4% beer in accordance with the
latest interpretation of the prohibition act.
October 1924 - The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan held a
meeting here Monday and Tuesday evening in a field west of
town. They were out in regalia Tuesday evening.
August 1936 - Ed Maxon had the first automobile in
Stratford. It was a Fuller. The next car was an International,
with high, black, buggy-like wheels. The motor was laid in
the car width-ways, and it was necessary to raise the running
board to crank the car. Mr. Klemme had the third car, a
May 1949 - WARNING-During the first two weeks of
the current softball season, ten new softballs were thrown into
those first games, and there were four used balls left from last
year, yet after Wednesday night's game there were only six
balls to be found.
It is quite obvious to the officers of the league that eight
balls could not be lost in so short a period, and is more obvious
that certain persons are making off with those balls.
At that rate the league cannot meet expenses, and cer-
tainly no one person or persons would want to be responsible
for the failure of the most enthusiastic sporting enterprise that
Stratford has known for many years.
All players are asked to keep a close watch on all balls.
When warming up or holding fielding practice, players are
asked to return the balls to the players bench after they are
finished with them, and to watch carefully when foul balls are
This is a warning - Any person apprehended stealing, or
having illegal possession of a league ball will be turned over
to the proper authority and dealt with according to the law.
February 1950 - A train, enroute from Marshfield to
Stratford, became mired in the snow at McMillan. It took over
two days to free the train from the snow banks. A crew of 35
men worked to clear the train. They reported that the snow
was so firmly packed that picks were required to loosen the
snow before it could be moved.
January 1978 - A fire on Jan. 2, 1978 destroyed the
Leick's Hotel and Sportsman Bar. The building was erected
about 1900 by Charles Daul. At one time, Peter Grassl, Sr. had
a pool hall in the building. It was purchased by Peter Leick in
1928 and he ran the hotel until the 1940's.
The fire started in an upstairs room. Edwin (Major)
Dhein, who was a resident of the hotel, died in the fire.
Draft Dodger
From The Marshfield Herald September 20, 1923
Kept In Hiding For Five Years
Devotion to Mother Makes Young Man a Draft Evader
Only for the death of his motherFrank Schweighoferwho
resides on a 20 acre farm near Stratford might yet be a self
made prisoner. Frank is 34 years of age and the story of his
life, especially that concerning the last five years, is truly
Previous to the World War draft, Frank's father went
back to Germany, his native country, and after an absence of
a year or more word came back that he had abandoned his wife
in America and married another in the fatherland.
It was sad news to the family which consisted of a mother
and two children, Mary and Frank. Nevertheless Frank was
a dutiful son and comforted his mother with assurances that he
would care for her and his sister.
Everything went pleasingly on until one day Frank got
word that he was among the list of drafted men. It was an
awful blow to his mother, for without him and his help, life
was not worth living. She plead and fought that he remain at
home and won out by Frank becoming a draft evader by
remaining in seclusion and not reporting to the draft board.
Five years have elapsed since the day of his draft and no
one during that time, with the exception of his mother and
sister, knew of his whereabouts. Like the ships that pass in the
night he kept his whereabouts a secret by self imprisonment
remaining at home, keeping out of sight during the day and
working the best he could on the farm under the cover of
The old saying "that murder will out" became true in
Frank's case when a few weeks ago his mother passed away
after a short illness, her dutiful son remaining at her bedside
until the last breath of life had passed away. There was no
longer need of him remaining in seclusion and for the first
time in five years he appeared in public as a mourner at the
grave of his mother.
His appearance caused a ripple of excitement and soon
officers of the law, without resistance, made him a prisoner
with instructions that he be taken to Marshfield and delivered
to Police Chief, M. Griffin, for safe keeping. He was brought
to this city September 7 and was kept in the city jail until the
following Tuesday. On that day Mr. Griffin received word
from a state draft official for the release of the prisoner for the
present, with instruction to the town officials of the town in
which he lived to keep posted on his whereabouts.
Upon his release he told Mr. Griffin that it was his
intention, as soon as he had arranged his business matters, to
give himself up to the proper authorities and pay the penalty
of a draft evader but seemed to console himself with the
thought that it was a mother's love that influenced him in the
matter. When the facts in the case become known it is
believed he will be reinstated into citizenship with only a

Go up to Top of Page