University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial

Stratford schools,   pp. 92-100

Page 93

Stratford School, Circa 1920. Prior to 1928, the first floor was the grade school,
the second floor and the basement were the high school. Courtesy Tom Becher
school districts began to attend. Increased enrollment created
a need for more building space and playground area.
In 1935 the voters of the district defeated a proposal to
purchase additional land for more playground area. This year
the first, second and third grades were moved to the
Wittmayer building located the first door to the north of
Leick's Hotel that had been remodeled for the classes. There
were 31 graduates this year, the largest to date.
In 1936 another teacher was added and the agriculture
courses were offered in the curriculum. The 1937 high school
faculty had six teachers, a principal and the social sciences
were added to the curriculum. The board of education
delegated the agriculture teacher the responsibility of contact-
ing the rural grade school students to encourage them to attend
high school. There were 28 graduates in the Class of '37.
The 1937 high school curriculum required the Freshmen
to study English, Business, Citizenship and to elect General
Science or Agriculture; a Sophomore had to study English,
History and had a choice of Biology or Agriculture and
Typing; Juniors were required to study English, American
History and elected German, Geometry, Shorthand, Geogra-
phy or Agriculture; a Senior studied Physics, American His-
tory as required and selected Social Problems, Agriculture,
Business, English or German.
In 1937 the extra curricular activities included Band,
Basketball, Girls Intra-Mural basketball, Forensics, Dramatic
Club, Hobby Club, FFA, Stratford Junior Dairy Improvement
Association, Art Club, Glee Club, Pep Club, Annual Staff,
Journalism Club and Science Club.
The addition of new class rooms and gymnasium were
needed as the start of school in September, 1937, had the
largest high school enrollment recorded to date, 183. There
were 64 Freshmen, 42 Sophomores, 45 Juniors and 32 Senior
students representing an increase of 30 students over the
previous year. Tuition students numbered 108 compared to 88
last year and there were 76 village students versus 65 the year
before. The addition of agriculture to the curriculum and good
commercial courses were thought to be influencing the
student's decision to attend high school. The minimum tuition
for the rural students was $72 a year and depending upon the
expense of the school district could reach a maximum of $108.
In 1938 chemistry was added to the curriculum. School
began with an even larger enrollment than last year, 204. The
Freshman Class had 60 students, Sophomore 63, Junior 38
and Senior43. There were 64 district and 140 tuition students.
The Class of '38 had 32 seniors graduate.
Class scheduling had to allow for some rural students to
begin their day after the regular starting time and to leave early
in the afternoon as the bus was making two trips each morn-
ing and afternoon.
Enrollment in the high school continued to increase, for
in 1940 there were 237 students. The high school faculty had
seven teachers and the principal. There were 40 graduates.
In 1946, the student population was 70 in the grades and
172 in the high school for an enrollment of 242. There were
three elementary and eight high school teachers, a principal
and a band instructor on the staff.
The 1947 school year had an elementary and high school
enrollment of 222 with three grade, seven high school and a
principal on the staff. The foreign language and geography
were no longer in the curriculum, having been dropped in
some prior year.
During the 50's, enrollments were increasing and the
need for more teaching stations pressing. A sewing class was

Go up to Top of Page