Logging and early settlements, pp. 8-20
Street scenes of Fenwood Fenwood Fenwood is located north of Strat- ford in the town of Wien. Fenwood is much like Stratford, in that it had its beginning with the Milwaukee Lake- shore & Western Railroad and was settled in the same year, 1891. The first settlers were Mr. C. S. Curtis and J. A. Porter. When the railroad extension was first talked of, they had woodsmen looking over the present locality of Fenwood. They found it to be a large territory of valu- able hardwood and a good location for a mill, and they bought all they could. Curtis, Porter and Clark organized the Fenwood Lumber Company. They built a mill with an averge capacity of 40,000 feet of lumber per day. They also built a lath mill, shingle mill and a complete planing mill. At the request of the M.L.S. & W. R. R., the Fenwood Lumber Company laid out eighty acres in town lots. In 1891, Fenwood had a hotel, two stores, one owned by Mr. Umhoefer and one owned by Radant Bros. The railroad built a depot and a double section house. Lots ranged in price from $25.00 to $75.00.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright