University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Logging and early settlements,   pp. 8-20


Page 17

built by volunteers. Originally
about 60 families became part of St.
Andrew's Parish. Father Reisser of
Marathon City was the first priest
to offer mass at St. Andrew's.
Eventually it became a mission of
Marshfield, Auburndale and
Hewitt. In 1893 Holy Trinity of
Webertown was attached to St.
Andrew's and Fr. Alois Schauen-
berg became the first resident pas-
tor of both parishes.
Area Lutherans began meeting
at the Jacob Reichert home, and in
1885 Rev. L. Th. Thom of
Marshfield helped organize St.
Paul's Lutheran Church. Jacob
Reichert donated two acres of land
and in 1896 a church was built.
It is speculated that if the rail-
road had located here in this little
community, it may have become a
fair sized city. However, that never
was to be, and Rozellville remains
a crossroads town, between the
larger communities of Stratford
and Marshfield.
Staadt
Staadt was founded by John
Staadt in 1892 along the Chicago
and North Western Railroad.
Staadt had a saw mill, shingle mill,
lath and planing mill, store, ware-
house, post office, depot, black-
smith ship, boarding house, saloon
and eight homes.
.Main Street looking West, Rozellville, Wis.
Courtesy of Clarence Ka7a
Staadt Mill
Staadt Cheese Factory


Go up to Top of Page