University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Logging and early settlements,   pp. 8-20


Page 15

March Rapids
March Rapids was located in
the present day township of Eau
Pleine. The Big Eau Pleine River
made the land attractive as a timber
source and was originally pur-
chased by lumberman John Week
in 1855. John Holmes was the first
settler - he built a sawmill on the
site around 1875. Mr. Richards
came shortly afterwards. Tom
March also built a sawmill and
gave the community its name.
March sold his mill to Doud and
Son who built a railroad spur to the
nearby settlement of Staadt.
At its peak, March had about 40
buildings including several stores
and saloons, a shoe-harness-coffin
shop, a dance hall, hotel, boarding
house and schools.
Other early settlers were Albert
Radke, William Hein, Paul Haff-
ner, Herman Leffel, and William
Wesley.
March Rapids boasted a saw-
mill, a planing mill, a tie mill and a
heading mill. The company built a
boarding house which was man-
aged by Mrs. McLoughlin. Mr.
Doud donated land for the Em-
manual Lutheran church. The
Doud Mill was destroyed by fire in
1913, and the Douds purchased a
mill in Fenwood and had it reas-
sembledatMarch. The millceased
operations in the 1920's.
The mill at March Rapids
Doud & Son Railroad
At March Rapids mill


Go up to Top of Page