University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Before Stratford,   pp. 1-7


Page 5

S~  'Y C, STEPI> 14  r E   A  r' F V
WI   I;; X-LO
Increased population in the county was responsible for
the rapid division into increasing numbers of townships.
#7 1892
The Town
of Cleveland
The Town of Cleveland was set off from the town of
Mosinee, November 14, 1884, and organized in the spring of
1885. Edward Hayes, the oldest settler in the territory, was
elected as the first town chairman. Grover Cleveland had
been elected president in the same fall, and the town honored
him by taking his name. It embraces township 27, range 4 east.
The town formed part of the "Irish Settlement," as the name
of the first settlers sufficiently indicate, namely: Hayes,
Hughes, Bradley and others, whose descendents are living in
the town on large, good cultivated farms. The German emi-
gration set in after the building of the Wisconsin Central
Railroad and the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad from
Wausau to Marshfield.
Source: The History of Marathon County and Representa-
tive Citizens, 1913
The Town
of Eau Pleine
The town of Eau Pleine was set off from the town of
Brighton on November 14, 1884, and in the election the
following spring, the town elected its first officers with Edw.
Laesig as chairman. The territory of this town is township 27,
range 3 east.
Two large saw mills were running in this town before its
organization. One, the "Staadts" mill, so-called, was situated
on the Northwestern railroad, about two miles southwest from
Stratford; the other owned by the firm of Dowd, Sons & Co.,
was situated at the little village of March Rapids nearly in the
center of the north bourdary line of the township.
The farm settlement in this town was very weak in numbers
when the town was organized.
Source: The History of Marathon County and Representa-
tive Citizens, 1913
Nikodim farm in the Town of Eau Pleine, (County P and Wescott Rd), Courtesy: Don Schnitzler


Go up to Top of Page