University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Salter, George H., 1826-ca. 1906 / Papers, ca. 1896-1913, 1965
Call Number, Stevens Point SC 60

[George Salter Memoirs],   pp. [1]-34 PDF (71.5 MB)

Page 10

threshing which made me eighteen months and then I went in to town and hired
a coal store.  I did first rate, made from one to two pounds per week and
I walked four miled to and from my work every day except Sunday as Saturday
nights I did not get home till between eleven and twelve o'clock.  It was
through renting the coal store that I heard about America.  He was an old
captain that I rented the store from and he was in to see how I got along.
 He said that I ought to go to American.  He said that I would soon make
a fortune; land was only five shillings per acre, and make our own candles
and soap.  Beef was one and a half penny per pound; pork the same, and wheat
about two shillings per bushel.  I inquired more about America but I had
rented the store for one year and could not leave that because I had paid
the rent for the year, so I had to stay my time out and as soon as my time
was out I was bound to move from the Inland.  There was a great boom for
Australia, to go to any port for two pounds.  I had all my papers made out
for Sindea and went to be examined by the doctor.  He would not give me a
certificate and there I was:  sold everything I had what I could not sell
I gave away so then I went to the Captain Leroy.  He wanted to rent his coal
store to me again for on pound less than before but I told him No, I had
made up my mind to leave the Inland of Guernsey and I would try America,
hit or miss, so I inquired and saw how much it would take me and wife.  I
found that it would take fifteen pounds to take me and wife and then we had
a little boy three months old.  He was taken sick with the  cholera marvus
and died in two hours.  That delayed us three weeks and the wife was taken
sick.  I was nearly given up in going to America but the wife said that she
could not stay on the Inland no longer.  I said allright here's for America.
I wrote to Liverpool and engaged passage for America.  We could get passage
in thesteerage for six pounds each and second babin for seven pounds each
so I engaged the one in the second babin and were to be there the first of
July, 1852.  Got to Liverpool and sailed the next day.  Went on board the
same day that we got there, slept on board that night, got up early the next
morning and the vessel was toled out in the stream.  Then all on board had
to walk before three doctors to see if we were sound but they found one woman
and two were coming down with the smallpox.  They very soon hustled her and
the children ashore and the vessel started.  We had been out two weeks and
the report came from the cabin that smallpox had broken out there, but it
was kept very quiet for one week when there were three cases in the steerage.
 I tell you it was a sight to see; the poor children and no one to look after
them.  I think there were fifteen children down with it and no one could
tell how many grown up person were down with it as no one was allowed to
go where they were but the nurses and the doctor.  When one died we were
called upon deck to see the poor devils tipped overboard.  There was a family
of man and wife, and three children, two of them were thrown overboard and
the other one got to New York, but he was taken to Straton Inland and he
died there.  It was through this family that me and wife caome to Wisconsin
as the husband had two brothers living in Geneva, Walworth County.  They
xxxxx  said that his brothers were coming to meet them at Kenosha which was
called South Port then and said that me and my wife had been so kind to them
that we should lose nothing by it.  If I would let them have some money as
all they had was two pounds, they would have to stop in New York until they
could send to their

Go up to Top of Page